Serial port splitter with MK2R+

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5 5:45 AM
      I thought readers of this group might be interested in my experience with
      the free Virtual Serial Port Emulator by www.eterlogic.com . As an
      experiment yesterday, I downloaded it and used it to connect N1MM Logger
      and CW Skimmer (using OmniRig) to my FT-1000MP Mk5 through the Microham
      MK2R+. You set up a special multi-user virtual serial port in the
      emulator, tell both programs to connect to it, and tell the emulator to
      connect to the relevant radio port on the MK2R+.

      Using this port splitter, I was able to command the Mk5 to a frequency from
      either Skimmer or N1MM. with Skimmer in either 3-KHz or SR-IF mode. Both
      programs properly tracked frequency changes from the transceiver. During
      my test period(approximately an hour), both application programs continued
      to run without incident. Setup was simple and reasonably intuitive, though
      the idea of telling both programs to connect to the same virtual serial
      port seemed like a sure loser at first

      I have no idea how the emulator does its job, particularly two-way - it
      seems to know which query came from which program, and routes the responses
      appropriately. Both of these programs poll for radio status, so there are
      a lot of queries and responses going back and forth, not in sync. Some
      have speculated that the very low data rate of the Mk5 might be
      responsible, and that some faster radios might not work so nicely. It's
      also certainly possible that different application programs might give
      different results. Nevertheless....

      73, Pete N4ZR
    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5 1:07 PM
        I can confirm Pete's findings. Identical conclusions here with
        IC751A - so if you need this kind of setup then this method is worth
        a try. I've been using the Eterlogic utility for about a month for
        DX and contest work. It has been completely stable.
        Barry GM3YEH.