[dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

  • Barry GM3YEH
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
      Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
      suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
      changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
      HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
      The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
      applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
      73 de Barry GM3YEH

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
        Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
        rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
        mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
        just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
        to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
        this info.

        Bruce, K2BET
        ------------------

        Barry GM3YEH wrote:

        > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
        > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
        > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
        > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
        > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
        > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
        > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
        >
        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
        > the
        > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
        > what I
        > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
        > move my
        > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
        > standalone fixed
        > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
        > obvious
        > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
        > to have
        > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
        > the
        > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
        > >
        > > 73, Pete

        > http://www.eset.com
      • bill_w4zv
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

          > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
          > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
          > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

          Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
          it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
          on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
          khz span.

          What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
          by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

          http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

          "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
          things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
          to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
          creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
          It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
          along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
          convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
          Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
          are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
          status and setup / diagnostic view."

          73, Bill
        • Barry GM3YEH
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
            Hi Bruce,
            It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
            IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
            and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
            down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
            and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
            divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
            a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
            direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
            73 de Barry GM3YEH

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
              Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
              possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

              Bruce
              -------

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                applications.

                73, Pete

                At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                >
                >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                >khz span.
                >
                >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                >
                >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                >
                >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                >
                >73, Bill

              • rt_tclay
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                  > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                  > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                  >
                  > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                  > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                  > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                  > khz span.

                  Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                  file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                  more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                  If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                  using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                  well for SDR use.

                  Tor
                  N4OGW