Re: [dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
      Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
      info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
      want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
      radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
      frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
      reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
      Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
      clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

      73, Pete

      At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
      >here
      > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
      >using this
      > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
      > > might be asking too much.
      > >

      >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
      >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
      >
      >Tor
      >N4OGW

    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
        Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
        suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
        changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
        HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
        The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
        applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
        73 de Barry GM3YEH

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
          Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
          rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
          mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
          just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
          to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
          this info.

          Bruce, K2BET
          ------------------

          Barry GM3YEH wrote:

          > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
          > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
          > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
          > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
          > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
          > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
          > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
          >
          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
          > the
          > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
          > what I
          > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
          > move my
          > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
          > standalone fixed
          > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
          > obvious
          > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
          > to have
          > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
          > the
          > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
          > >
          > > 73, Pete

          > http://www.eset.com
        • bill_w4zv
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

            > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
            > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
            > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

            Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
            it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
            on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
            khz span.

            What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
            by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

            http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

            "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
            things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
            to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
            creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
            It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
            along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
            convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
            Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
            are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
            status and setup / diagnostic view."

            73, Bill
          • Barry GM3YEH
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
              Hi Bruce,
              It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
              IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
              and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
              down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
              and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
              divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
              a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
              direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
              73 de Barry GM3YEH

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                Bruce
                -------

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                  Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                  being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                  in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                  applications.

                  73, Pete

                  At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                  >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                  > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                  > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                  >
                  >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                  >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                  >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                  >khz span.
                  >
                  >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                  >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                  >
                  >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                  >
                  >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                  >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                  >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                  >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                  >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                  >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                  >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                  >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                  >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                  >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                  >
                  >73, Bill

                • rt_tclay
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                    > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                    > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                    > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                    >
                    > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                    > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                    > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                    > khz span.

                    Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                    file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                    more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                    If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                    using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                    well for SDR use.

                    Tor
                    N4OGW