Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

Expand Messages
  • Pete Smith
    Something just dawned on me - I m guessing that you are using Skimmer in either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone SoftRock. In
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
      Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
      either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
      SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
      waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
      appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

      73, Pete

      At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
      >here
      > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
      >using this
      > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
      > > might be asking too much.
      > >
      >
      >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
      >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
      >
      >Tor
      >N4OGW
      >
      >
      >
      >------------------------------------
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
    • Pete Smith
      Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I want to do, which
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
        Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
        info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
        want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
        radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
        frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
        reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
        Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
        clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

        73, Pete

        At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
        >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
        >here
        > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
        >using this
        > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
        > > might be asking too much.
        > >
        >
        >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
        >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
        >
        >Tor
        >N4OGW
        >
        >
        >
        >------------------------------------
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
      • Barry GM3YEH
        Pete - I m running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you suspected. This let s me use the system on all bands by simply changing band on the rig (I
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
          Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
          suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
          changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
          HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
          The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
          applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
          73 de Barry GM3YEH

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          >
          > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
          the
          > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
          what I
          > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
          move my
          > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
          standalone fixed
          > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
          obvious
          > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
          to have
          > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
          the
          > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
          >
          > 73, Pete
        • Bruce Tanner
          Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your rig. I d like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the mods are for it.
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
            Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
            rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
            mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
            just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
            to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
            this info.

            Bruce, K2BET
            ------------------

            Barry GM3YEH wrote:
            >
            > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
            > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
            > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
            > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
            > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
            > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
            > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
            >
            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
            > the
            > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
            > what I
            > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
            > move my
            > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
            > standalone fixed
            > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
            > obvious
            > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
            > to have
            > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
            > the
            > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
            > >
            > > 73, Pete
            >
            >
            >
            > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
            >
            > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
            > http://www.eset.com
          • bill_w4zv
            ... Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe it s actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible on the waterfall I
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

              > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
              > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
              > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

              Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
              it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
              on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
              khz span.

              What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
              by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

              http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

              "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
              things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
              to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
              creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
              It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
              along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
              convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
              Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
              are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
              status and setup / diagnostic view."

              73, Bill
            • Barry GM3YEH
              Hi Bruce, It s pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony and replaced
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                Hi Bruce,
                It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                73 de Barry GM3YEH

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                wrote:
                >
                > Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature
                with your
                > rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what
                the
                > mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which
                is
                > just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is
                modifiable
                > to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have
                with
                > this info.
                >
                > Bruce, K2BET
                > ------------------
                >
                > Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                > >
                > > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                > > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                > > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                > > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system
                follows.
                > > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                > > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                > >
                > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@>
                wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                > > the
                > > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful
                for
                > > what I
                > > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                > > move my
                > > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                > > standalone fixed
                > > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                > > obvious
                > > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                > > to have
                > > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                > > the
                > > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                > > >
                > > > 73, Pete
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                > >
                > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                > > http://www.eset.com
                >
              • Bruce Tanner
                Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000? Bruce
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                  possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                  Bruce
                  -------

                  Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi Bruce,
                  > It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                  > IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                  > and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                  > down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                  > and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                  > divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                  > a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                  > direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                  > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                  >
                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature
                  > with your
                  > > rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what
                  > the
                  > > mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which
                  > is
                  > > just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is
                  > modifiable
                  > > to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have
                  > with
                  > > this info.
                  > >
                  > > Bruce, K2BET
                  > > ------------------
                  > >
                  > > Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                  > > > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                  > > > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                  > > > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system
                  > follows.
                  > > > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                  > > > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                  > > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > > >
                  > > > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                  > > > the
                  > > > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful
                  > for
                  > > > what I
                  > > > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                  > > > move my
                  > > > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                  > > > standalone fixed
                  > > > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                  > > > obvious
                  > > > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                  > > > to have
                  > > > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                  > > > the
                  > > > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                  > > > >
                  > > > > 73, Pete
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                  > > >
                  > > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                  > > > http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com>
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                  >
                  > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                  > http://www.eset.com
                • Pete Smith
                  Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them in the least,
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                    Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                    being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                    in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                    applications.

                    73, Pete


                    At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                    >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                    > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                    > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                    >
                    >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                    >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                    >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                    >khz span.
                    >
                    >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                    >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                    >
                    >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                    >
                    >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                    >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                    >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                    >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                    >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                    >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                    >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                    >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                    >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                    >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                    >
                    >73, Bill
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >------------------------------------
                    >
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >
                    >
                  • rt_tclay
                    ... Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get more by going
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                      > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                      > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                      >
                      > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                      > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                      > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                      > khz span.
                      >

                      Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                      file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                      more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                      If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                      using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                      well for SDR use.

                      Tor
                      N4OGW
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.