[dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

  • rt_tclay
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3 11:24 AM

      > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
      here
      > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
      using this
      > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
      > might be asking too much.

      Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
      converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

      Tor
      N4OGW
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4 6:37 AM
        Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
        either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
        SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
        waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
        appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

        73, Pete

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4 6:48 AM
          Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
          info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
          want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
          radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
          frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
          reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
          Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
          clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

          73, Pete

          At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
          >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
          >here
          > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
          >using this
          > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
          > > might be asking too much.
          > >

          >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
          >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
          >
          >Tor
          >N4OGW

        • Barry GM3YEH
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4 3:48 PM
            Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
            suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
            changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
            HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
            The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
            applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
            73 de Barry GM3YEH

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4 10:01 PM
              Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
              rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
              mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
              just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
              to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
              this info.

              Bruce, K2BET
              ------------------

              Barry GM3YEH wrote:

              > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
              > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
              > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
              > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
              > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
              > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
              > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
              >
              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
              > the
              > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
              > what I
              > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
              > move my
              > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
              > standalone fixed
              > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
              > obvious
              > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
              > to have
              > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
              > the
              > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
              > >
              > > 73, Pete

              > http://www.eset.com
            • bill_w4zv
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5 10:55 AM
                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                khz span.

                What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                status and setup / diagnostic view."

                73, Bill
              • Barry GM3YEH
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5 12:57 PM
                  Hi Bruce,
                  It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                  IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                  and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                  down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                  and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                  divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                  a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                  direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                  73 de Barry GM3YEH

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5 1:48 PM
                    Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                    possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                    Bruce
                    -------

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 6 4:23 AM
                      Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                      being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                      in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                      applications.

                      73, Pete

                      At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                      > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                      > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                      >
                      >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                      >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                      >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                      >khz span.
                      >
                      >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                      >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                      >
                      >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                      >
                      >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                      >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                      >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                      >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                      >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                      >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                      >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                      >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                      >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                      >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                      >
                      >73, Bill

                    • rt_tclay
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 7 6:51 AM
                        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                        > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                        > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                        >
                        > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                        > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                        > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                        > khz span.

                        Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                        file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                        more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                        If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                        using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                        well for SDR use.

                        Tor
                        N4OGW