Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

Expand Messages
  • Pete Smith
    Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this software
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here
      that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this
      software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
      might be asking too much.

      73, Pete

      At 11:56 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
      >one of
      > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
      >logging
      > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
      >Also,
      > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
      >the radio
      > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
      >me think
      > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
      > >
      >
      >As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
      >frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
      >clicking/typing in the logging program.
      >
      >The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
      >glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
      >don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.
      >
      >As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
      >programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
      >poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.
      >
      >Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
      >something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.
      >
      >I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
      >:) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
      >~20 KHz in IF mode.
      >
      >Tor
      >N4OGW
      >
      >
      >
      >------------------------------------
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
    • rt_tclay
      ... here ... using this ... Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren t
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        >
        > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
        here
        > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
        using this
        > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
        > might be asking too much.
        >

        Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
        converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

        Tor
        N4OGW
      • Pete Smith
        Something just dawned on me - I m guessing that you are using Skimmer in either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone SoftRock. In
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
          either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
          SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
          waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
          appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

          73, Pete

          At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
          >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
          >here
          > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
          >using this
          > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
          > > might be asking too much.
          > >
          >
          >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
          >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
          >
          >Tor
          >N4OGW
          >
          >
          >
          >------------------------------------
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
        • Pete Smith
          Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I want to do, which
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
            info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
            want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
            radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
            frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
            reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
            Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
            clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

            73, Pete

            At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
            >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
            >here
            > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
            >using this
            > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
            > > might be asking too much.
            > >
            >
            >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
            >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
            >
            >Tor
            >N4OGW
            >
            >
            >
            >------------------------------------
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
          • Barry GM3YEH
            Pete - I m running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you suspected. This let s me use the system on all bands by simply changing band on the rig (I
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
              suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
              changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
              HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
              The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
              applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
              73 de Barry GM3YEH

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              >
              > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
              the
              > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
              what I
              > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
              move my
              > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
              standalone fixed
              > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
              obvious
              > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
              to have
              > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
              the
              > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
              >
              > 73, Pete
            • Bruce Tanner
              Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your rig. I d like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the mods are for it.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
                rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
                mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
                just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
                to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
                this info.

                Bruce, K2BET
                ------------------

                Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                >
                > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                >
                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                > the
                > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                > what I
                > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                > move my
                > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                > standalone fixed
                > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                > obvious
                > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                > to have
                > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                > the
                > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                > >
                > > 73, Pete
                >
                >
                >
                > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                >
                > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                > http://www.eset.com
              • bill_w4zv
                ... Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe it s actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible on the waterfall I
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                  > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                  > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                  > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                  Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                  it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                  on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                  khz span.

                  What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                  by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                  http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                  "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                  things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                  to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                  creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                  It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                  along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                  convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                  Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                  are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                  status and setup / diagnostic view."

                  73, Bill
                • Barry GM3YEH
                  Hi Bruce, It s pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony and replaced
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Bruce,
                    It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                    IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                    and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                    down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                    and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                    divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                    a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                    direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                    73 de Barry GM3YEH

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                    wrote:
                    >
                    > Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature
                    with your
                    > rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what
                    the
                    > mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which
                    is
                    > just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is
                    modifiable
                    > to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have
                    with
                    > this info.
                    >
                    > Bruce, K2BET
                    > ------------------
                    >
                    > Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                    > > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                    > > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                    > > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system
                    follows.
                    > > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                    > > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                    > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                    > >
                    > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                    > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@>
                    wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                    > > the
                    > > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful
                    for
                    > > what I
                    > > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                    > > move my
                    > > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                    > > standalone fixed
                    > > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                    > > obvious
                    > > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                    > > to have
                    > > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                    > > the
                    > > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                    > > >
                    > > > 73, Pete
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                    > >
                    > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                    > > http://www.eset.com
                    >
                  • Bruce Tanner
                    Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000? Bruce
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                      possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                      Bruce
                      -------

                      Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                      >
                      > Hi Bruce,
                      > It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                      > IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                      > and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                      > down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                      > and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                      > divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                      > a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                      > direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                      > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                      >
                      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature
                      > with your
                      > > rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what
                      > the
                      > > mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which
                      > is
                      > > just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is
                      > modifiable
                      > > to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have
                      > with
                      > > this info.
                      > >
                      > > Bruce, K2BET
                      > > ------------------
                      > >
                      > > Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                      > > > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                      > > > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                      > > > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system
                      > follows.
                      > > > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                      > > > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                      > > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > > >
                      > > > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                      > > > the
                      > > > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful
                      > for
                      > > > what I
                      > > > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                      > > > move my
                      > > > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                      > > > standalone fixed
                      > > > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                      > > > obvious
                      > > > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                      > > > to have
                      > > > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                      > > > the
                      > > > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                      > > > >
                      > > > > 73, Pete
                      > > >
                      > > >
                      > > >
                      > > > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                      > > >
                      > > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                      > > > http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com>
                      > >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                      >
                      > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                      > http://www.eset.com
                    • Pete Smith
                      Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them in the least,
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                        being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                        in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                        applications.

                        73, Pete


                        At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                        >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                        > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                        > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                        >
                        >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                        >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                        >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                        >khz span.
                        >
                        >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                        >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                        >
                        >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                        >
                        >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                        >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                        >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                        >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                        >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                        >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                        >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                        >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                        >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                        >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                        >
                        >73, Bill
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >------------------------------------
                        >
                        >Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >
                        >
                        >
                      • rt_tclay
                        ... Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get more by going
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                          > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                          > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                          >
                          > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                          > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                          > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                          > khz span.
                          >

                          Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                          file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                          more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                          If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                          using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                          well for SDR use.

                          Tor
                          N4OGW
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.