[dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

  • Barry GM3YEH
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
      Pete,
      USB works fine. I only have 1 physical COM port - but I need it for
      Winkey so I use a USB/RS232 cable from a PC USB port to drive my
      CAT. This gives me a second physical COM port (I use COM8). The
      Eterlogic utility is configured to connect physical COM8 to 2 virtual
      COM ports (I use COM5 and COM6). CW skimmer drives COM5 and N1MM
      drives COM6. I have tested HRD on COM6 as well and it works as
      well. Like Tor, I can do rig control from either program and both
      programs track manual rig changes synchronously. I also have CW
      Skimmer Tenet spots going into N1MM. Let me know by direct e-mail if
      you have any problem configuring the Eterlogic tool and I'll send you
      my configuration settings.
      73 de Barry GM3YEH.

      > That's pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my
      setup,the only
      > physical port is the one on the radio, so I'm hoping that this can
      work
      > with USB ports created by another driver. Guess I'll find out. In
      > pinch, I *do* have a physical port I can use for one radio.
      >
      > 73, Pete
      >
      > At 06:18 PM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
      > >Hi Pete,
      > >
      > >The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by
      Tor
      > >is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
      > >hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance.
      > >have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
      > >virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The
      Physical

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
        Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here
        that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this
        software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
        might be asking too much.

        73, Pete

        At 11:56 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
        >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
        >one of
        > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
        >logging
        > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
        >Also,
        > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
        >the radio
        > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
        >me think
        > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
        > >

        >As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
        >frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
        >clicking/typing in the logging program.
        >
        >The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
        >glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
        >don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.
        >
        >As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
        >programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
        >poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.
        >
        >Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
        >something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.
        >
        >I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
        >:) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
        >~20 KHz in IF mode.
        >
        >Tor
        >N4OGW

      • rt_tclay
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008

          > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
          here
          > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
          using this
          > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
          > might be asking too much.

          Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
          converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

          Tor
          N4OGW
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
            Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
            either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
            SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
            waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
            appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

            73, Pete

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
              Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
              info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
              want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
              radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
              frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
              reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
              Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
              clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

              73, Pete

              At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
              >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
              >here
              > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
              >using this
              > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
              > > might be asking too much.
              > >

              >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
              >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
              >
              >Tor
              >N4OGW

            • Barry GM3YEH
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                73 de Barry GM3YEH

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                  Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
                  rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
                  mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
                  just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
                  to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
                  this info.

                  Bruce, K2BET
                  ------------------

                  Barry GM3YEH wrote:

                  > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                  > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                  > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                  > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                  > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                  > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                  > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                  >
                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                  > the
                  > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                  > what I
                  > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                  > move my
                  > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                  > standalone fixed
                  > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                  > obvious
                  > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                  > to have
                  > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                  > the
                  > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                  > >
                  > > 73, Pete

                  > http://www.eset.com
                • bill_w4zv
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                    > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                    > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                    > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                    Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                    it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                    on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                    khz span.

                    What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                    by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                    http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                    "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                    things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                    to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                    creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                    It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                    along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                    convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                    Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                    are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                    status and setup / diagnostic view."

                    73, Bill
                  • Barry GM3YEH
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                      Hi Bruce,
                      It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                      IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                      and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                      down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                      and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                      divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                      a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                      direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                      73 de Barry GM3YEH

                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                        Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                        possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                        Bruce
                        -------

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                          Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                          being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                          in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                          applications.

                          73, Pete

                          At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                          >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                          > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                          > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                          >
                          >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                          >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                          >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                          >khz span.
                          >
                          >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                          >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                          >
                          >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                          >
                          >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                          >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                          >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                          >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                          >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                          >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                          >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                          >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                          >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                          >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                          >
                          >73, Bill

                        • rt_tclay
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                            > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                            > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                            >
                            > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                            > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                            > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                            > khz span.

                            Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                            file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                            more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                            If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                            using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                            well for SDR use.

                            Tor
                            N4OGW