Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • rdvrey
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hi Alex,

      I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
      the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
      has much bigger value, to bad.

      73,

      Robert PE1CWU

      > Hi Robert,
      >
      > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
      > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
      > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
      exactly
      > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

      DXPeditions in
      > > operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
      > > hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
      > > efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or
      trying
      > > to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
      > > skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
      > > nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are
      tuning for
      > > your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
      > > > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
      > > other accessories offset from the radio.
      > > >
      > > > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
      > > > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
      > > setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or
      maybe
      > > the software that you are using presently is a better choice for
      you.

      > > > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport
      is the
      > > actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
      > > allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.
      > > >
      > > > Best Regards
      > > > Dan Schaaf
      > > > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
      > > > ===============================
      > > > NOBSKA
      > > > www.nobska.net
      > > > ===============================
      > > > Cape Cod Instruments
      > > > www.oceanbiz.net
      > > > ===============================

    • Dan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
        Robert

        Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

        I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
        1) Auto update of LOTW user list
        2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
        3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

        For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf
        ===============================
        NOBSKA
        www.nobska.net
        ===============================
        Cape Cod Instruments
        www.oceanbiz.net
        ===============================

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
          Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
          subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
          current.

          You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

          73, Pete N4ZR

        • Neal Campbell
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
            There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
            realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
            exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
            Spot.

            Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
            website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
            do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
            whole web page, he is fine with it.

            73
            Neal k3nc

            On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
            > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
            > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
            > current.
            >
            > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
            >
            > 73, Pete N4ZR
            >
            > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
            >>Hi Alex,
            >>
            >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
            >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
            >>has much bigger value, to bad.
            >>
            >>73,
            >>
            >>Robert PE1CWU
            >>
            >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Hi Robert,
            >> >
            >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
            >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
            >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
            >>exactly
            >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
            >> >
            >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

            Neal Campbell
            Abroham Neal Software
            Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
            (540) 242 0911
            Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
            www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
            For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
            See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
            action at www.flex-videos.com
          • Mike Harris
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
              Good day,

              Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
              pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

              Regards,

              Mike VP8NO

              | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
              | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
              | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
              | Spot.
              |
              | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
              | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
              | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
              | whole web page, he is fine with it.
              |
              | 73
              | Neal k3nc
            • Neal Campbell
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                Neal

                action at www.flex-videos.com
              • rdvrey
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008