Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

Expand Messages
  • Pete Smith
    That s pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my setup,the only physical port is the one on the radio, so I m hoping that this can work with USB
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
      That's pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my setup,the only
      physical port is the one on the radio, so I'm hoping that this can work
      with USB ports created by another driver. Guess I'll find out. In a
      pinch, I *do* have a physical port I can use for one radio.

      73, Pete

      At 06:18 PM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
      >Hi Pete,
      >
      >The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by Tor
      >is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
      >hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance. I
      >have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
      >virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The Physical
      >port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
      >from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it fairly
      >hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.
      >
      >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
      >
      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
      >and one of
      > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
      >logging
      > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
      >Also,
      > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
      >the radio
      > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
      >me think
      > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
      > >
      > > 73, Pete N4ZR
      > >
      > > At 11:12 PM 7/1/2008, rt_tclay wrote:
      > > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5kd" <g4dvp@> wrote:
      > > > >
      > > > > Is there any chance of adding a virtual com port (or ports)
      >into Omni-
      > > > > rig sometime? I'm sure many of us are using programs like the
      > > >original
      > > > > logger that work fine on there own, but will not run together
      >with CW
      > > > > skimmer. I really don't want to change logging programs, but I
      >love
      > > >the
      > > > > features of Skimmer.
      > > > >
      > > >
      > > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
      > > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
      > > >
      > > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
      > > >
      > > >Tor
      > > >N4OGW
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >------------------------------------
      > > >
      > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > >
      >
      >
      >
      >------------------------------------
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
    • rt_tclay
      ... one of ... logging ... Also, ... the radio ... me think ... As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change frequency by either
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
        one of
        > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
        logging
        > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
        Also,
        > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
        the radio
        > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
        me think
        > that can't work. What has been your experience?
        >

        As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
        frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
        clicking/typing in the logging program.

        The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
        glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
        don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.

        As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
        programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
        poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.

        Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
        something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.

        I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
        :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
        ~20 KHz in IF mode.

        Tor
        N4OGW
      • Barry GM3YEH
        Pete, USB works fine. I only have 1 physical COM port - but I need it for Winkey so I use a USB/RS232 cable from a PC USB port to drive my CAT. This gives me
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
          Pete,
          USB works fine. I only have 1 physical COM port - but I need it for
          Winkey so I use a USB/RS232 cable from a PC USB port to drive my
          CAT. This gives me a second physical COM port (I use COM8). The
          Eterlogic utility is configured to connect physical COM8 to 2 virtual
          COM ports (I use COM5 and COM6). CW skimmer drives COM5 and N1MM
          drives COM6. I have tested HRD on COM6 as well and it works as
          well. Like Tor, I can do rig control from either program and both
          programs track manual rig changes synchronously. I also have CW
          Skimmer Tenet spots going into N1MM. Let me know by direct e-mail if
          you have any problem configuring the Eterlogic tool and I'll send you
          my configuration settings.
          73 de Barry GM3YEH.

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          >
          > That's pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my
          setup,the only
          > physical port is the one on the radio, so I'm hoping that this can
          work
          > with USB ports created by another driver. Guess I'll find out. In
          a
          > pinch, I *do* have a physical port I can use for one radio.
          >
          > 73, Pete
          >
          > At 06:18 PM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
          > >Hi Pete,
          > >
          > >The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by
          Tor
          > >is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
          > >hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance.
          I
          > >have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
          > >virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The
          Physical
          > >port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
          > >from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it
          fairly
          > >hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.
          > >
          > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
          > >
          > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
          > >and one of
          > > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and
          your
          > >logging
          > > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency
          information.
          > >Also,
          > > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to
          command
          > >the radio
          > > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more
          than
          > >me think
          > > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
          > > >
          > > > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > > >
          > > > At 11:12 PM 7/1/2008, rt_tclay wrote:
          > > > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5kd" <g4dvp@> wrote:
          > > > > >
          > > > > > Is there any chance of adding a virtual com port (or ports)
          > >into Omni-
          > > > > > rig sometime? I'm sure many of us are using programs like
          the
          > > > >original
          > > > > > logger that work fine on there own, but will not run
          together
          > >with CW
          > > > > > skimmer. I really don't want to change logging programs,
          but I
          > >love
          > > > >the
          > > > > > features of Skimmer.
          > > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer
          and
          > > > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
          > > > >
          > > > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
          > > > >
          > > > >Tor
          > > > >N4OGW
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >------------------------------------
          > > > >
          > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >------------------------------------
          > >
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
        • Pete Smith
          Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this software
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
            Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here
            that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this
            software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
            might be asking too much.

            73, Pete

            At 11:56 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
            >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
            >one of
            > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
            >logging
            > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
            >Also,
            > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
            >the radio
            > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
            >me think
            > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
            > >
            >
            >As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
            >frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
            >clicking/typing in the logging program.
            >
            >The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
            >glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
            >don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.
            >
            >As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
            >programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
            >poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.
            >
            >Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
            >something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.
            >
            >I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
            >:) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
            >~20 KHz in IF mode.
            >
            >Tor
            >N4OGW
            >
            >
            >
            >------------------------------------
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
          • rt_tclay
            ... here ... using this ... Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren t
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              >
              > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
              here
              > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
              using this
              > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
              > might be asking too much.
              >

              Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
              converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

              Tor
              N4OGW
            • Pete Smith
              Something just dawned on me - I m guessing that you are using Skimmer in either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone SoftRock. In
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
                either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
                SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
                waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
                appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

                73, Pete

                At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                >here
                > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                >using this
                > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                > > might be asking too much.
                > >
                >
                >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
                >
                >Tor
                >N4OGW
                >
                >
                >
                >------------------------------------
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
              • Pete Smith
                Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I want to do, which
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                  Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
                  info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
                  want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
                  radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
                  frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
                  reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
                  Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
                  clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

                  73, Pete

                  At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                  >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                  >here
                  > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                  >using this
                  > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                  > > might be asking too much.
                  > >
                  >
                  >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                  >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
                  >
                  >Tor
                  >N4OGW
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >------------------------------------
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                • Barry GM3YEH
                  Pete - I m running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you suspected. This let s me use the system on all bands by simply changing band on the rig (I
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                    suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                    changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                    HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                    The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                    applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                    73 de Barry GM3YEH

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                    the
                    > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                    what I
                    > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                    move my
                    > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                    standalone fixed
                    > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                    obvious
                    > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                    to have
                    > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                    the
                    > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                    >
                    > 73, Pete
                  • Bruce Tanner
                    Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your rig. I d like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the mods are for it.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
                      rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
                      mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
                      just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
                      to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
                      this info.

                      Bruce, K2BET
                      ------------------

                      Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                      >
                      > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                      > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                      > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                      > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                      > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                      > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                      > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                      >
                      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                      > the
                      > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                      > what I
                      > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                      > move my
                      > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                      > standalone fixed
                      > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                      > obvious
                      > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                      > to have
                      > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                      > the
                      > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                      > >
                      > > 73, Pete
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                      >
                      > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                      > http://www.eset.com
                    • bill_w4zv
                      ... Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe it s actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible on the waterfall I
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                        > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                        > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                        > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                        Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                        it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                        on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                        khz span.

                        What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                        by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                        http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                        "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                        things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                        to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                        creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                        It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                        along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                        convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                        Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                        are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                        status and setup / diagnostic view."

                        73, Bill
                      • Barry GM3YEH
                        Hi Bruce, It s pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony and replaced
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                          Hi Bruce,
                          It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                          IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                          and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                          down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                          and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                          divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                          a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                          direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                          73 de Barry GM3YEH

                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                          wrote:
                          >
                          > Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature
                          with your
                          > rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what
                          the
                          > mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which
                          is
                          > just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is
                          modifiable
                          > to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have
                          with
                          > this info.
                          >
                          > Bruce, K2BET
                          > ------------------
                          >
                          > Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                          > > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                          > > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                          > > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system
                          follows.
                          > > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                          > > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                          > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                          > >
                          > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@>
                          wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                          > > the
                          > > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful
                          for
                          > > what I
                          > > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                          > > move my
                          > > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                          > > standalone fixed
                          > > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                          > > obvious
                          > > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                          > > to have
                          > > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                          > > the
                          > > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                          > > >
                          > > > 73, Pete
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                          > >
                          > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                          > > http://www.eset.com
                          >
                        • Bruce Tanner
                          Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000? Bruce
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                            Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                            possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                            Bruce
                            -------

                            Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                            >
                            > Hi Bruce,
                            > It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                            > IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                            > and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                            > down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                            > and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                            > divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                            > a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                            > direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                            > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                            >
                            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature
                            > with your
                            > > rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what
                            > the
                            > > mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which
                            > is
                            > > just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is
                            > modifiable
                            > > to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have
                            > with
                            > > this info.
                            > >
                            > > Bruce, K2BET
                            > > ------------------
                            > >
                            > > Barry GM3YEH wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                            > > > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                            > > > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                            > > > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system
                            > follows.
                            > > > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                            > > > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                            > > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@>
                            > wrote:
                            > > > >
                            > > > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                            > > > the
                            > > > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful
                            > for
                            > > > what I
                            > > > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                            > > > move my
                            > > > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                            > > > standalone fixed
                            > > > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                            > > > obvious
                            > > > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                            > > > to have
                            > > > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                            > > > the
                            > > > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                            > > > >
                            > > > > 73, Pete
                            > > >
                            > > >
                            > > >
                            > > > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                            > > >
                            > > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                            > > > http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com>
                            > >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > __________ NOD32 3244 (20080705) Information __________
                            >
                            > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
                            > http://www.eset.com
                          • Pete Smith
                            Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them in the least,
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                              Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                              being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                              in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                              applications.

                              73, Pete


                              At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                              >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                              > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                              > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                              >
                              >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                              >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                              >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                              >khz span.
                              >
                              >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                              >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                              >
                              >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                              >
                              >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                              >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                              >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                              >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                              >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                              >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                              >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                              >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                              >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                              >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                              >
                              >73, Bill
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >------------------------------------
                              >
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >
                              >
                              >
                            • rt_tclay
                              ... Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get more by going
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                                >
                                > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                >
                                > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                > khz span.
                                >

                                Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                                file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                                more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                                If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                                using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                                well for SDR use.

                                Tor
                                N4OGW
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.