Re: Omni rig feature request

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
      Take care, with multiple programs (even just two) trying to use the same
      hardware device, you could still get a "confused" device, if certain
      commands and parameters get mixed in time.

      You should idealy get the logging program to talk to OmniRig, and let
      that sort out the digital confusion that could occur, that's what it's
      for.

      Re: http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
      Nice looking, downloaded for evaluation, looks like it might even do
      Serial<>TCP...

      Look also for N8VB's "Virtual Null Modem" drivers, free for ham use,
      that allows you to create any number of linked pairs of "com" ports, so
      different programs can communicate with each other, "the old way" with
      serial ports. Good for debugging things.

      I've used it to get OmniRig, to talk to an older Icom radio, that uses a
      4 bit parallel IO. All the Icom IO stuff was done in a custom program I
      threw together (still very much WIP) while taking orders from OmniRig
      via one of N8VB's virtual null modem links. It works, but I'm still
      "engineering" the parallel IO part.

      It's also "Very" good, to have a Terminal program on one end, and
      OmniRig on the other, when modifying the rig driver files, so you can
      see exactly what goes out to the radio, as the radio would see it. (It
      you're quick, or use the old Win16 "Terminal.exe" program, and have the
      "buttons" programmed up, you can even send data back to OmniRig!)

      If you google for N8VB, you should find the driver install download.

      FYI. For those interested, I found that INPOUT32.DLL is excellent
      (google for it) at letting you use a printer port for example (or any
      other IO card) for general purpose IO, in a NT based system. (Win2k and
      XP, I don't have Vista) with no blue screen problems. The only problem
      I'm having, is the Icom is very slow to react, and often needs two
      attempts when a band change is involved. That's every time with Faros
      of course, sometimes missing a beacon. Still, it sometimes fills the
      gap when the Kenwood radio is used for something else.

      Cheers All..

      Dave G0WBX/G8KBV

      My Faros status site at: http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/ I still think
      it's neat we can do all this stuff. Many thanks to Alex of course.
      This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited. www.palmercook.co.uk
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
        That's pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my setup,the only
        physical port is the one on the radio, so I'm hoping that this can work
        with USB ports created by another driver. Guess I'll find out. In a
        pinch, I *do* have a physical port I can use for one radio.

        73, Pete

        At 06:18 PM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
        >Hi Pete,
        >
        >The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by Tor
        >is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
        >hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance. I
        >have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
        >virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The Physical
        >port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
        >from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it fairly
        >hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.
        >
        >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
        >
        >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
        >and one of
        > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
        >logging
        > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
        >Also,
        > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
        >the radio
        > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
        >me think
        > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
        > >
        > > 73, Pete N4ZR

        >into Omni-
        > > >original
        >with CW
        >love
        > > >the
        > > > >

        > > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
        > > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
        > > >
        > > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
        > > >
        > > >Tor
        > > >N4OGW

      • rt_tclay
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008

          > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
          one of
          > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
          logging
          > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
          Also,
          > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
          the radio
          > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
          me think
          > that can't work. What has been your experience?

          As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
          frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
          clicking/typing in the logging program.

          The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
          glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
          don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.

          As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
          programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
          poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.

          Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
          something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.

          I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
          :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
          ~20 KHz in IF mode.

          Tor
          N4OGW
        • Barry GM3YEH
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
            Pete,
            USB works fine. I only have 1 physical COM port - but I need it for
            Winkey so I use a USB/RS232 cable from a PC USB port to drive my
            CAT. This gives me a second physical COM port (I use COM8). The
            Eterlogic utility is configured to connect physical COM8 to 2 virtual
            COM ports (I use COM5 and COM6). CW skimmer drives COM5 and N1MM
            drives COM6. I have tested HRD on COM6 as well and it works as
            well. Like Tor, I can do rig control from either program and both
            programs track manual rig changes synchronously. I also have CW
            Skimmer Tenet spots going into N1MM. Let me know by direct e-mail if
            you have any problem configuring the Eterlogic tool and I'll send you
            my configuration settings.
            73 de Barry GM3YEH.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
              Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here
              that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this
              software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
              might be asking too much.

              73, Pete

              At 11:56 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
              >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
              >one of
              > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
              >logging
              > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
              >Also,
              > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
              >the radio
              > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
              >me think
              > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
              > >

              >As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
              >frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
              >clicking/typing in the logging program.
              >
              >The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
              >glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
              >don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.
              >
              >As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
              >programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
              >poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.
              >
              >Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
              >something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.
              >
              >I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
              >:) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
              >~20 KHz in IF mode.
              >
              >Tor
              >N4OGW

            • rt_tclay
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008

                > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                here
                > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                using this
                > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                > might be asking too much.

                Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

                Tor
                N4OGW
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                  Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
                  either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
                  SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
                  waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
                  appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

                  73, Pete

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
                    info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
                    want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
                    radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
                    frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
                    reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
                    Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
                    clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

                    73, Pete

                    At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                    >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                    >here
                    > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                    >using this
                    > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                    > > might be asking too much.
                    > >

                    >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                    >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
                    >
                    >Tor
                    >N4OGW

                  • Barry GM3YEH
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                      suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                      changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                      HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                      The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                      applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                      73 de Barry GM3YEH

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                        Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
                        rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
                        mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
                        just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
                        to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
                        this info.

                        Bruce, K2BET
                        ------------------

                        Barry GM3YEH wrote:

                        > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                        > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                        > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                        > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                        > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                        > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                        > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                        >
                        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                        > the
                        > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                        > what I
                        > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                        > move my
                        > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                        > standalone fixed
                        > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                        > obvious
                        > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                        > to have
                        > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                        > the
                        > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                        > >
                        > > 73, Pete

                        > http://www.eset.com
                      • bill_w4zv
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                          > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                          > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                          > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                          Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                          it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                          on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                          khz span.

                          What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                          by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                          http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                          "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                          things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                          to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                          creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                          It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                          along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                          convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                          Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                          are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                          status and setup / diagnostic view."

                          73, Bill
                        • Barry GM3YEH
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                            Hi Bruce,
                            It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                            IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                            and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                            down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                            and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                            divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                            a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                            direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                            73 de Barry GM3YEH

                            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                              Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                              possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                              Bruce
                              -------

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                                Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                                being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                                in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                                applications.

                                73, Pete

                                At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                                >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                >
                                >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                >khz span.
                                >
                                >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                                >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                                >
                                >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                                >
                                >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                                >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                                >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                                >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                                >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                                >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                                >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                                >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                                >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                                >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                                >
                                >73, Bill

                              • rt_tclay
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                  > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                  > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                  >
                                  > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                  > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                  > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                  > khz span.

                                  Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                                  file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                                  more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                                  If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                                  using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                                  well for SDR use.

                                  Tor
                                  N4OGW