Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • rdvrey
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
      Dear Dan

      I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
      alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
      but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
      assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
      channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
      With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
      software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
      up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
      the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
      to date database this way.

      73,

      Robert

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

      > Dear Robert
      >
      > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
      the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
      HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

      > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
      amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

      > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
      Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
      for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
      worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

      > If you are interested, my credentials are:
      > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
      built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
      them further their education.
      > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
      processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
      an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
      (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
      > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
      satellite tracking.
      > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
      the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
      college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
      to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
      engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
      accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
      selectors on TVs.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
        Hi Robert,

        I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
        automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
        answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
        fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

        I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
        alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
        but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
        assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
        channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
        With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
        software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
        up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
        the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
        to date database this way.

        73,

        Robert

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

        > Dear Robert
        >
        > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
        the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
        HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

        > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
        amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

        > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
        Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
        for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
        worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

        > If you are interested, my credentials are:
        > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
        built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
        them further their education.
        > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
        processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
        an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
        (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
        > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
        satellite tracking.
        > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
        the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
        college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
        to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
        engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
        accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
        selectors on TVs.

        > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
        >
        > Best Regards
        > Dan Schaaf
        > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
        > ===============================
        > NOBSKA
        > www.nobska.net
        > ===============================
        > Cape Cod Instruments
        > www.oceanbiz.net
        > ===============================

      • rdvrey
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hi Alex,

          I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
          the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
          has much bigger value, to bad.

          73,

          Robert PE1CWU

          > Hi Robert,
          >
          > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
          > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
          > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
          exactly
          > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

        • Dan Schaaf
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
            Robert

            Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

            I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
            1) Auto update of LOTW user list
            2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
            3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

            For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

            Best Regards
            Dan Schaaf
            ===============================
            NOBSKA
            www.nobska.net
            ===============================
            Cape Cod Instruments
            www.oceanbiz.net
            ===============================

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
              Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
              subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
              current.

              You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

              73, Pete N4ZR

            • Neal Campbell
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                Spot.

                Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                whole web page, he is fine with it.

                73
                Neal k3nc

                On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                > current.
                >
                > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                >
                > 73, Pete N4ZR
                >
                > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                >>Hi Alex,
                >>
                >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                >>
                >>73,
                >>
                >>Robert PE1CWU
                >>
                >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Hi Robert,
                >> >
                >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                >>exactly
                >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                >> >
                >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                Neal Campbell
                Abroham Neal Software
                Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                (540) 242 0911
                Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                action at www.flex-videos.com
              • Mike Harris
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                  Good day,

                  Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                  pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                  Regards,

                  Mike VP8NO

                  | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                  | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                  | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                  | Spot.
                  |
                  | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                  | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                  | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                  | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                  |
                  | 73
                  | Neal k3nc
                • Neal Campbell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                    special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                    Neal

                    action at www.flex-videos.com
                  • rdvrey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 7 3:10 PM