Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
      Dear Robert

      I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

      BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

      Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963. Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897) for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

      If you are interested, my credentials are:
      My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help them further their education.
      In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800 processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
      Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar satellite tracking.
      Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel selectors on TVs.

      So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf
      ===============================
      NOBSKA
      www.nobska.net
      ===============================
      Cape Cod Instruments
      www.oceanbiz.net
      ===============================

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
        Dear Dan

        I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
        alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
        but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
        assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
        channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
        With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
        software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
        up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
        the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
        to date database this way.

        73,

        Robert

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hi Robert,

          I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
          automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
          answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
          fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

          I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
          alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
          but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
          assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
          channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
          With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
          software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
          up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
          the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
          to date database this way.

          73,

          Robert

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

          > Dear Robert
          >
          > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
          the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
          HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

          > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
          amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

          > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
          Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
          for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
          worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

          > If you are interested, my credentials are:
          > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
          built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
          them further their education.
          > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
          processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
          an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
          (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
          > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
          satellite tracking.
          > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
          the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
          college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
          to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
          engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
          accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
          selectors on TVs.

          > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
          >
          > Best Regards
          > Dan Schaaf
          > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
          > ===============================
          > NOBSKA
          > www.nobska.net
          > ===============================
          > Cape Cod Instruments
          > www.oceanbiz.net
          > ===============================

        • rdvrey
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
            Hi Alex,

            I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
            the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
            has much bigger value, to bad.

            73,

            Robert PE1CWU

            > Hi Robert,
            >
            > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
            > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
            > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
            exactly
            > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

          • Dan Schaaf
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
              Robert

              Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

              I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
              1) Auto update of LOTW user list
              2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
              3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

              For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

              Best Regards
              Dan Schaaf
              ===============================
              NOBSKA
              www.nobska.net
              ===============================
              Cape Cod Instruments
              www.oceanbiz.net
              ===============================

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                current.

                You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

                73, Pete N4ZR

              • Neal Campbell
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                  There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                  realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                  exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                  Spot.

                  Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                  website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                  do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                  whole web page, he is fine with it.

                  73
                  Neal k3nc

                  On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                  > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                  > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                  > current.
                  >
                  > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                  >
                  > 73, Pete N4ZR
                  >
                  > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                  >>Hi Alex,
                  >>
                  >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                  >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                  >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                  >>
                  >>73,
                  >>
                  >>Robert PE1CWU
                  >>
                  >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > Hi Robert,
                  >> >
                  >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                  >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                  >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                  >>exactly
                  >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                  >> >
                  >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                  Neal Campbell
                  Abroham Neal Software
                  Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                  (540) 242 0911
                  Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                  www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                  For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                  See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                  action at www.flex-videos.com
                • Mike Harris
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Good day,

                    Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                    pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                    Regards,

                    Mike VP8NO

                    | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                    | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                    | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                    | Spot.
                    |
                    | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                    | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                    | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                    | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                    |
                    | 73
                    | Neal k3nc
                  • Neal Campbell
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                      special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                      Neal

                      action at www.flex-videos.com
                    • rdvrey
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008