Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • rdvrey
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
      It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
      work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
      any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
      computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
      to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
      due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
      analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
      communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
      works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
      that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
      you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
      test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

      > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
      on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
      operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
      hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
      efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
      to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
      skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
      nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
      your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
      > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
      other accessories offset from the radio.

      > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
      > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
      setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
      the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

      > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
      actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
      allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

      > Best Regards
      > Dan Schaaf
      > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
      > ===============================
      > NOBSKA
      > www.nobska.net
      > ===============================
      > Cape Cod Instruments
      > www.oceanbiz.net
      > ===============================

    • Dan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
        Dear Robert

        I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

        BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

        Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963. Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897) for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

        If you are interested, my credentials are:
        My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help them further their education.
        In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800 processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
        Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar satellite tracking.
        Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel selectors on TVs.

        So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf
        ===============================
        NOBSKA
        www.nobska.net
        ===============================
        Cape Cod Instruments
        www.oceanbiz.net
        ===============================

        It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
        work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
        any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
        computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
        to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
        due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
        analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
        communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
        works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
        that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
        you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
        test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

        > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
        on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
        operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
        hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
        efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
        to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
        skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
        nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
        your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
        > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
        other accessories offset from the radio.

        > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
        > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
        setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
        the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

        > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
        actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
        allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

        > Best Regards
        > Dan Schaaf
        > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
        > ===============================
        > NOBSKA
        > www.nobska.net
        > ===============================
        > Cape Cod Instruments
        > www.oceanbiz.net
        > ===============================

      • rdvrey
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
          Dear Dan

          I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
          alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
          but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
          assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
          channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
          With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
          software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
          up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
          the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
          to date database this way.

          73,

          Robert

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
            Hi Robert,

            I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
            automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
            answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
            fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

            I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
            alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
            but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
            assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
            channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
            With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
            software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
            up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
            the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
            to date database this way.

            73,

            Robert

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

            > Dear Robert
            >
            > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
            the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
            HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

            > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
            amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

            > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
            Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
            for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
            worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

            > If you are interested, my credentials are:
            > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
            built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
            them further their education.
            > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
            processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
            an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
            (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
            > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
            satellite tracking.
            > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
            the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
            college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
            to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
            engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
            accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
            selectors on TVs.

            > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
            >
            > Best Regards
            > Dan Schaaf
            > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
            > ===============================
            > NOBSKA
            > www.nobska.net
            > ===============================
            > Cape Cod Instruments
            > www.oceanbiz.net
            > ===============================

          • rdvrey
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hi Alex,

              I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
              the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
              has much bigger value, to bad.

              73,

              Robert PE1CWU

              > Hi Robert,
              >
              > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
              > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
              > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
              exactly
              > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

            • Dan Schaaf
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                Robert

                Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

                I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
                1) Auto update of LOTW user list
                2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
                3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

                For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

                Best Regards
                Dan Schaaf
                ===============================
                NOBSKA
                www.nobska.net
                ===============================
                Cape Cod Instruments
                www.oceanbiz.net
                ===============================

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                  subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                  current.

                  You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                • Neal Campbell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                    There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                    realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                    exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                    Spot.

                    Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                    website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                    do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                    whole web page, he is fine with it.

                    73
                    Neal k3nc

                    On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                    > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                    > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                    > current.
                    >
                    > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                    >
                    > 73, Pete N4ZR
                    >
                    > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                    >>Hi Alex,
                    >>
                    >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                    >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                    >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                    >>
                    >>73,
                    >>
                    >>Robert PE1CWU
                    >>
                    >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Hi Robert,
                    >> >
                    >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                    >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                    >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                    >>exactly
                    >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                    >> >
                    >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                    Neal Campbell
                    Abroham Neal Software
                    Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                    (540) 242 0911
                    Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                    www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                    For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                    See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                    action at www.flex-videos.com
                  • Mike Harris
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Good day,

                      Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                      pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                      Regards,

                      Mike VP8NO

                      | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                      | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                      | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                      | Spot.
                      |
                      | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                      | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                      | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                      | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                      |
                      | 73
                      | Neal k3nc
                    • Neal Campbell
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                        Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                        special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                        Neal

                        action at www.flex-videos.com
                      • rdvrey
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008