Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
      Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
      And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all other accessories offset from the radio.

      Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
      But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

      BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf
      ===============================
      NOBSKA
      www.nobska.net
      ===============================
      Cape Cod Instruments
      www.oceanbiz.net
      ===============================
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
        It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
        work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
        any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
        computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
        to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
        due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
        analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
        communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
        works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
        that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
        you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
        test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
          Dear Robert

          I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

          BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

          Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963. Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897) for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

          If you are interested, my credentials are:
          My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help them further their education.
          In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800 processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
          Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar satellite tracking.
          Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel selectors on TVs.

          So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf
          ===============================
          NOBSKA
          www.nobska.net
          ===============================
          Cape Cod Instruments
          www.oceanbiz.net
          ===============================

          It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
          work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
          any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
          computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
          to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
          due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
          analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
          communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
          works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
          that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
          you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
          test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

          > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
          on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
          operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
          hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
          efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
          to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
          skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
          nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
          your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
          > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
          other accessories offset from the radio.

          > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
          > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
          setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
          the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

          > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
          actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
          allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

          > Best Regards
          > Dan Schaaf
          > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
          > ===============================
          > NOBSKA
          > www.nobska.net
          > ===============================
          > Cape Cod Instruments
          > www.oceanbiz.net
          > ===============================

        • rdvrey
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
            Dear Dan

            I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
            alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
            but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
            assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
            channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
            With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
            software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
            up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
            the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
            to date database this way.

            73,

            Robert

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hi Robert,

              I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
              automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
              answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
              fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

              I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
              alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
              but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
              assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
              channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
              With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
              software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
              up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
              the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
              to date database this way.

              73,

              Robert

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

              > Dear Robert
              >
              > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
              the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
              HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

              > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
              amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

              > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
              Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
              for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
              worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

              > If you are interested, my credentials are:
              > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
              built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
              them further their education.
              > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
              processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
              an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
              (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
              > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
              satellite tracking.
              > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
              the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
              college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
              to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
              engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
              accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
              selectors on TVs.

              > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
              >
              > Best Regards
              > Dan Schaaf
              > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
              > ===============================
              > NOBSKA
              > www.nobska.net
              > ===============================
              > Cape Cod Instruments
              > www.oceanbiz.net
              > ===============================

            • rdvrey
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                Hi Alex,

                I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                has much bigger value, to bad.

                73,

                Robert PE1CWU

                > Hi Robert,
                >
                > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                exactly
                > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

              • Dan Schaaf
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Robert

                  Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

                  I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
                  1) Auto update of LOTW user list
                  2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
                  3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

                  For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

                  Best Regards
                  Dan Schaaf
                  ===============================
                  NOBSKA
                  www.nobska.net
                  ===============================
                  Cape Cod Instruments
                  www.oceanbiz.net
                  ===============================

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                    subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                    current.

                    You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                  • Neal Campbell
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                      There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                      realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                      exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                      Spot.

                      Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                      website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                      do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                      whole web page, he is fine with it.

                      73
                      Neal k3nc

                      On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                      > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                      > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                      > current.
                      >
                      > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                      >
                      > 73, Pete N4ZR
                      >
                      > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                      >>Hi Alex,
                      >>
                      >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                      >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                      >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                      >>
                      >>73,
                      >>
                      >>Robert PE1CWU
                      >>
                      >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > Hi Robert,
                      >> >
                      >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                      >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                      >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                      >>exactly
                      >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                      >> >
                      >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                      Neal Campbell
                      Abroham Neal Software
                      Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                      (540) 242 0911
                      Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                      www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                      For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                      See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                      action at www.flex-videos.com
                    • Mike Harris
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                        Good day,

                        Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                        pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                        Regards,

                        Mike VP8NO

                        | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                        | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                        | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                        | Spot.
                        |
                        | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                        | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                        | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                        | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                        |
                        | 73
                        | Neal k3nc
                      • Neal Campbell
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                          Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                          special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                          Neal

                          action at www.flex-videos.com
                        • rdvrey
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008