[dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

  • Barry GM3YEH
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2 3:18 PM
      Hi Pete,

      The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by Tor
      is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
      hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance. I
      have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
      virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The Physical
      port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
      from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it fairly
      hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.

      73 de Barry GM3YEH.

      > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
      and one of
      > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
      logging
      > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
      Also,
      > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
      the radio
      > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
      me think
      > that can't work. What has been your experience?
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR
      >
      > At 11:12 PM 7/1/2008, rt_tclay wrote:
      > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5kd" <g4dvp@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is there any chance of adding a virtual com port (or ports)
      into Omni-
      > > > rig sometime? I'm sure many of us are using programs like the
      > >original
      > > > logger that work fine on there own, but will not run together
      with CW
      > > > skimmer. I really don't want to change logging programs, but I
      love
      > >the
      > > > features of Skimmer.
      > > >

      > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
      > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
      > >
      > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
      > >
      > >Tor
      > >N4OGW

    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3 1:46 AM
        Take care, with multiple programs (even just two) trying to use the same
        hardware device, you could still get a "confused" device, if certain
        commands and parameters get mixed in time.

        You should idealy get the logging program to talk to OmniRig, and let
        that sort out the digital confusion that could occur, that's what it's
        for.

        Re: http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
        Nice looking, downloaded for evaluation, looks like it might even do
        Serial<>TCP...

        Look also for N8VB's "Virtual Null Modem" drivers, free for ham use,
        that allows you to create any number of linked pairs of "com" ports, so
        different programs can communicate with each other, "the old way" with
        serial ports. Good for debugging things.

        I've used it to get OmniRig, to talk to an older Icom radio, that uses a
        4 bit parallel IO. All the Icom IO stuff was done in a custom program I
        threw together (still very much WIP) while taking orders from OmniRig
        via one of N8VB's virtual null modem links. It works, but I'm still
        "engineering" the parallel IO part.

        It's also "Very" good, to have a Terminal program on one end, and
        OmniRig on the other, when modifying the rig driver files, so you can
        see exactly what goes out to the radio, as the radio would see it. (It
        you're quick, or use the old Win16 "Terminal.exe" program, and have the
        "buttons" programmed up, you can even send data back to OmniRig!)

        If you google for N8VB, you should find the driver install download.

        FYI. For those interested, I found that INPOUT32.DLL is excellent
        (google for it) at letting you use a printer port for example (or any
        other IO card) for general purpose IO, in a NT based system. (Win2k and
        XP, I don't have Vista) with no blue screen problems. The only problem
        I'm having, is the Icom is very slow to react, and often needs two
        attempts when a band change is involved. That's every time with Faros
        of course, sometimes missing a beacon. Still, it sometimes fills the
        gap when the Kenwood radio is used for something else.

        Cheers All..

        Dave G0WBX/G8KBV

        My Faros status site at: http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/ I still think
        it's neat we can do all this stuff. Many thanks to Alex of course.
        This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited. www.palmercook.co.uk
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3 3:43 AM
          That's pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my setup,the only
          physical port is the one on the radio, so I'm hoping that this can work
          with USB ports created by another driver. Guess I'll find out. In a
          pinch, I *do* have a physical port I can use for one radio.

          73, Pete

          At 06:18 PM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
          >Hi Pete,
          >
          >The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by Tor
          >is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
          >hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance. I
          >have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
          >virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The Physical
          >port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
          >from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it fairly
          >hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.
          >
          >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
          >
          >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
          >and one of
          > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
          >logging
          > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
          >Also,
          > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
          >the radio
          > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
          >me think
          > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
          > >
          > > 73, Pete N4ZR

          >into Omni-
          > > >original
          >with CW
          >love
          > > >the
          > > > >

          > > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
          > > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
          > > >
          > > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
          > > >
          > > >Tor
          > > >N4OGW

        • rt_tclay
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3 8:56 AM

            > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
            one of
            > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
            logging
            > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
            Also,
            > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
            the radio
            > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
            me think
            > that can't work. What has been your experience?

            As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
            frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
            clicking/typing in the logging program.

            The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
            glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
            don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.

            As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
            programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
            poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.

            Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
            something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.

            I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
            :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
            ~20 KHz in IF mode.

            Tor
            N4OGW
          • Barry GM3YEH
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 3 9:48 AM
              Pete,
              USB works fine. I only have 1 physical COM port - but I need it for
              Winkey so I use a USB/RS232 cable from a PC USB port to drive my
              CAT. This gives me a second physical COM port (I use COM8). The
              Eterlogic utility is configured to connect physical COM8 to 2 virtual
              COM ports (I use COM5 and COM6). CW skimmer drives COM5 and N1MM
              drives COM6. I have tested HRD on COM6 as well and it works as
              well. Like Tor, I can do rig control from either program and both
              programs track manual rig changes synchronously. I also have CW
              Skimmer Tenet spots going into N1MM. Let me know by direct e-mail if
              you have any problem configuring the Eterlogic tool and I'll send you
              my configuration settings.
              73 de Barry GM3YEH.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3 10:16 AM
                Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here
                that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this
                software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                might be asking too much.

                73, Pete

                At 11:56 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
                >one of
                > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
                >logging
                > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
                >Also,
                > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
                >the radio
                > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
                >me think
                > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
                > >

                >As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
                >frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
                >clicking/typing in the logging program.
                >
                >The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
                >glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
                >don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.
                >
                >As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
                >programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
                >poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.
                >
                >Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
                >something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.
                >
                >I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                >:) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                >~20 KHz in IF mode.
                >
                >Tor
                >N4OGW

              • rt_tclay
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 3 11:24 AM

                  > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                  here
                  > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                  using this
                  > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                  > might be asking too much.

                  Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                  converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

                  Tor
                  N4OGW
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 4 6:37 AM
                    Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
                    either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
                    SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
                    waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
                    appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

                    73, Pete

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 4 6:48 AM
                      Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
                      info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
                      want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
                      radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
                      frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
                      reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
                      Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
                      clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

                      73, Pete

                      At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                      >here
                      > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                      >using this
                      > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                      > > might be asking too much.
                      > >

                      >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                      >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
                      >
                      >Tor
                      >N4OGW

                    • Barry GM3YEH
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 4 3:48 PM
                        Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                        suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                        changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                        HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                        The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                        applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                        73 de Barry GM3YEH

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 4 10:01 PM
                          Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
                          rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
                          mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
                          just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
                          to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
                          this info.

                          Bruce, K2BET
                          ------------------

                          Barry GM3YEH wrote:

                          > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                          > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                          > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                          > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                          > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                          > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                          > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                          >
                          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                          > the
                          > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                          > what I
                          > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                          > move my
                          > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                          > standalone fixed
                          > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                          > obvious
                          > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                          > to have
                          > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                          > the
                          > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                          > >
                          > > 73, Pete

                          > http://www.eset.com
                        • bill_w4zv
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5 10:55 AM
                            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                            > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                            > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                            > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                            Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                            it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                            on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                            khz span.

                            What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                            by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                            http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                            "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                            things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                            to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                            creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                            It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                            along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                            convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                            Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                            are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                            status and setup / diagnostic view."

                            73, Bill
                          • Barry GM3YEH
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5 12:57 PM
                              Hi Bruce,
                              It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                              IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                              and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                              down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                              and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                              divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                              a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                              direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                              73 de Barry GM3YEH

                              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5 1:48 PM
                                Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                                possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                                Bruce
                                -------

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 6 4:23 AM
                                  Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                                  being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                                  in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                                  applications.

                                  73, Pete

                                  At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                                  >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                  > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                  > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                  >
                                  >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                  >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                  >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                  >khz span.
                                  >
                                  >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                                  >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                                  >
                                  >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                                  >
                                  >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                                  >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                                  >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                                  >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                                  >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                                  >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                                  >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                                  >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                                  >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                                  >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                                  >
                                  >73, Bill

                                • rt_tclay
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 7 6:51 AM
                                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                    > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                    > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                    >
                                    > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                    > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                    > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                    > khz span.

                                    Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                                    file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                                    more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                                    If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                                    using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                                    well for SDR use.

                                    Tor
                                    N4OGW