Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
      I use a knob on my radio labeled "VFO" for small adjustments after I have clicked on a spot. It is much faster than playing around with a digital adjustment in the software.

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
        Yep mine has too thats odd, seriously when your holding the mouse its
        handy to continue doing that. And then there are short keys. My rig is
        up 2 feet higer and its more convenient to have that feature on the PC
        too.

      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
          Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
          And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all other accessories offset from the radio.

          Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
          But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

          BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf
          ===============================
          NOBSKA
          www.nobska.net
          ===============================
          Cape Cod Instruments
          www.oceanbiz.net
          ===============================
          Yep mine has too thats odd, seriously when your holding the mouse its
          handy to continue doing that. And then there are short keys. My rig is
          up 2 feet higer and its more convenient to have that feature on the PC
          too.

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

          > I use a knob on my radio labeled "VFO" for small adjustments after I
          have clicked on a spot. It is much faster than playing around with a
          digital adjustment in the software.

          > Best Regards
          > Dan Schaaf
          > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

        • rdvrey
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
            It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
            work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
            any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
            computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
            to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
            due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
            analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
            communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
            works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
            that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
            you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
            test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

          • Dan Schaaf
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
              Dear Robert

              I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

              BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

              Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963. Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897) for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

              If you are interested, my credentials are:
              My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help them further their education.
              In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800 processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
              Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar satellite tracking.
              Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel selectors on TVs.

              So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.

              Best Regards
              Dan Schaaf
              ===============================
              NOBSKA
              www.nobska.net
              ===============================
              Cape Cod Instruments
              www.oceanbiz.net
              ===============================

              It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
              work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
              any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
              computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
              to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
              due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
              analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
              communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
              works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
              that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
              you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
              test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

              > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
              on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
              operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
              hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
              efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
              to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
              skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
              nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
              your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
              > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
              other accessories offset from the radio.

              > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
              > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
              setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
              the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

              > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
              actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
              allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

              > Best Regards
              > Dan Schaaf
              > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
              > ===============================
              > NOBSKA
              > www.nobska.net
              > ===============================
              > Cape Cod Instruments
              > www.oceanbiz.net
              > ===============================

            • rdvrey
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                Dear Dan

                I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
                alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
                but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
                assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
                channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
                With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
                software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
                up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
                the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
                to date database this way.

                73,

                Robert

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Hi Robert,

                  I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                  automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                  answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
                  fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

                  I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
                  alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
                  but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
                  assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
                  channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
                  With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
                  software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
                  up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
                  the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
                  to date database this way.

                  73,

                  Robert

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Robert
                  >
                  > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
                  the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
                  HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

                  > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
                  amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

                  > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
                  Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
                  for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
                  worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

                  > If you are interested, my credentials are:
                  > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
                  built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
                  them further their education.
                  > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
                  processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
                  an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
                  (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
                  > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
                  satellite tracking.
                  > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
                  the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
                  college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
                  to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
                  engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
                  accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
                  selectors on TVs.

                  > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
                  >
                  > Best Regards
                  > Dan Schaaf
                  > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
                  > ===============================
                  > NOBSKA
                  > www.nobska.net
                  > ===============================
                  > Cape Cod Instruments
                  > www.oceanbiz.net
                  > ===============================

                • rdvrey
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Hi Alex,

                    I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                    the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                    has much bigger value, to bad.

                    73,

                    Robert PE1CWU

                    > Hi Robert,
                    >
                    > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                    > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                    > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                    exactly
                    > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

                  • Dan Schaaf
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Robert

                      Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

                      I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
                      1) Auto update of LOTW user list
                      2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
                      3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

                      For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

                      Best Regards
                      Dan Schaaf
                      ===============================
                      NOBSKA
                      www.nobska.net
                      ===============================
                      Cape Cod Instruments
                      www.oceanbiz.net
                      ===============================

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                        subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                        current.

                        You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                      • Neal Campbell
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                          There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                          realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                          exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                          Spot.

                          Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                          website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                          do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                          whole web page, he is fine with it.

                          73
                          Neal k3nc

                          On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                          > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                          > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                          > current.
                          >
                          > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                          >
                          > 73, Pete N4ZR
                          >
                          > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                          >>Hi Alex,
                          >>
                          >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                          >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                          >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                          >>
                          >>73,
                          >>
                          >>Robert PE1CWU
                          >>
                          >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > Hi Robert,
                          >> >
                          >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                          >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                          >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                          >>exactly
                          >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                          >> >
                          >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                          Neal Campbell
                          Abroham Neal Software
                          Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                          (540) 242 0911
                          Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                          www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                          For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                          See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                          action at www.flex-videos.com
                        • Mike Harris
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                            Good day,

                            Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                            pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                            Regards,

                            Mike VP8NO

                            | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                            | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                            | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                            | Spot.
                            |
                            | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                            | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                            | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                            | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                            |
                            | 73
                            | Neal k3nc
                          • Neal Campbell
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                              Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                              special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                              Neal

                              action at www.flex-videos.com
                            • rdvrey
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008