Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
      You don't tune the rig from the logbook. You tune it by clicking on a cluster spot in Bandmaster and the rig tunes to that frequency and if the spot is split freq, then your rig VFO A and B are set accordingly. And the DX call sign is automatically inserted into the New QSO window of the log.

      And, when ever a station is spotted that you already worked, BM shows it in Grey. If the country has never been workedand logged, then it shows in Red in BM. If it is a new station but not a new country, it is shown in black in BM.

      And, if the station is a LOTW user, the call sign is underlined.

      Many good features. I have been using it for 3 years and it has gotten me 295 countries in most bands in 3 years. Has saved me a lot of searching.

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

        > You don't tune the rig from the logbook. You tune it by clicking on
        a cluster spot in Bandmaster and the rig tunes to that frequency and
        if the spot is split freq, then your rig VFO A and B are set
        accordingly. And the DX call sign is automatically inserted into the
        New QSO window of the log.

        > And, when ever a station is spotted that you already worked, BM
        shows it in Grey. If the country has never been workedand logged, then
        it shows in Red in BM. If it is a new station but not a new country,
        it is shown in black in BM.

        > And, if the station is a LOTW user, the call sign is underlined.
        >
        > Many good features. I have been using it for 3 years and it has
        gotten me 295 countries in most bands in 3 years. Has saved me a lot
        of searching.

        > Best Regards
        > Dan Schaaf
        > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

        Hi,

        Maybe I should explain better, Log Wondow allows for small steps,
        since the ferquentie tuned to by band master might be slight of.

        73,

        Robert
      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
          I use a knob on my radio labeled "VFO" for small adjustments after I have clicked on a spot. It is much faster than playing around with a digital adjustment in the software.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
            Yep mine has too thats odd, seriously when your holding the mouse its
            handy to continue doing that. And then there are short keys. My rig is
            up 2 feet higer and its more convenient to have that feature on the PC
            too.

          • Dan Schaaf
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
              Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
              And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all other accessories offset from the radio.

              Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
              But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

              BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

              Best Regards
              Dan Schaaf
              ===============================
              NOBSKA
              www.nobska.net
              ===============================
              Cape Cod Instruments
              www.oceanbiz.net
              ===============================
              Yep mine has too thats odd, seriously when your holding the mouse its
              handy to continue doing that. And then there are short keys. My rig is
              up 2 feet higer and its more convenient to have that feature on the PC
              too.

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

              > I use a knob on my radio labeled "VFO" for small adjustments after I
              have clicked on a spot. It is much faster than playing around with a
              digital adjustment in the software.

              > Best Regards
              > Dan Schaaf
              > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

            • rdvrey
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
                work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
                any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
                computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
                to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
                due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
                analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
                communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
                works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
                that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
                you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
                test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

              • Dan Schaaf
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Dear Robert

                  I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

                  BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

                  Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963. Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897) for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

                  If you are interested, my credentials are:
                  My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help them further their education.
                  In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800 processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
                  Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar satellite tracking.
                  Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel selectors on TVs.

                  So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.

                  Best Regards
                  Dan Schaaf
                  ===============================
                  NOBSKA
                  www.nobska.net
                  ===============================
                  Cape Cod Instruments
                  www.oceanbiz.net
                  ===============================

                  It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
                  work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
                  any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
                  computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
                  to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
                  due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
                  analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
                  communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
                  works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
                  that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
                  you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
                  test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
                  on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
                  operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
                  hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
                  efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
                  to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
                  skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
                  nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
                  your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
                  > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
                  other accessories offset from the radio.

                  > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
                  > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
                  setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
                  the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

                  > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
                  actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
                  allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

                  > Best Regards
                  > Dan Schaaf
                  > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
                  > ===============================
                  > NOBSKA
                  > www.nobska.net
                  > ===============================
                  > Cape Cod Instruments
                  > www.oceanbiz.net
                  > ===============================

                • rdvrey
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Dear Dan

                    I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
                    alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
                    but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
                    assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
                    channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
                    With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
                    software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
                    up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
                    the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
                    to date database this way.

                    73,

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Hi Robert,

                      I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                      automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                      answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
                      fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

                      I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
                      alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
                      but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
                      assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
                      channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
                      With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
                      software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
                      up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
                      the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
                      to date database this way.

                      73,

                      Robert

                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Robert
                      >
                      > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
                      the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
                      HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

                      > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
                      amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

                      > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
                      Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
                      for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
                      worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

                      > If you are interested, my credentials are:
                      > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
                      built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
                      them further their education.
                      > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
                      processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
                      an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
                      (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
                      > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
                      satellite tracking.
                      > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
                      the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
                      college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
                      to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
                      engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
                      accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
                      selectors on TVs.

                      > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
                      >
                      > Best Regards
                      > Dan Schaaf
                      > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
                      > ===============================
                      > NOBSKA
                      > www.nobska.net
                      > ===============================
                      > Cape Cod Instruments
                      > www.oceanbiz.net
                      > ===============================

                    • rdvrey
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Hi Alex,

                        I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                        the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                        has much bigger value, to bad.

                        73,

                        Robert PE1CWU

                        > Hi Robert,
                        >
                        > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                        > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                        > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                        exactly
                        > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

                      • Dan Schaaf
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                          Robert

                          Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

                          I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
                          1) Auto update of LOTW user list
                          2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
                          3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

                          For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

                          Best Regards
                          Dan Schaaf
                          ===============================
                          NOBSKA
                          www.nobska.net
                          ===============================
                          Cape Cod Instruments
                          www.oceanbiz.net
                          ===============================

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                            Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                            subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                            current.

                            You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

                            73, Pete N4ZR

                          • Neal Campbell
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                              There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                              realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                              exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                              Spot.

                              Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                              website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                              do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                              whole web page, he is fine with it.

                              73
                              Neal k3nc

                              On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                              > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                              > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                              > current.
                              >
                              > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                              >
                              > 73, Pete N4ZR
                              >
                              > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                              >>Hi Alex,
                              >>
                              >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                              >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                              >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                              >>
                              >>73,
                              >>
                              >>Robert PE1CWU
                              >>
                              >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                              >> >
                              >> > Hi Robert,
                              >> >
                              >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                              >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                              >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                              >>exactly
                              >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                              >> >
                              >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                              Neal Campbell
                              Abroham Neal Software
                              Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                              (540) 242 0911
                              Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                              www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                              For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                              See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                              action at www.flex-videos.com
                            • Mike Harris
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                                Good day,

                                Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                                pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                                Regards,

                                Mike VP8NO

                                | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                                | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                                | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                                | Spot.
                                |
                                | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                                | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                                | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                                | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                                |
                                | 73
                                | Neal k3nc
                              • Neal Campbell
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                                  Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                                  special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                                  Neal

                                  action at www.flex-videos.com
                                • rdvrey
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008