Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • rdvrey
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2 2:21 PM

      go to www.DXSoft.com

      > Best Regards
      > Dan Schaaf
      > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

      But does it retreive information from my rig?
      Can I tune my rig from within the logbook ?
      Like Log Window 4.5?

      73,

      Robert
    • Dan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2 2:34 PM
        You don't tune the rig from the logbook. You tune it by clicking on a cluster spot in Bandmaster and the rig tunes to that frequency and if the spot is split freq, then your rig VFO A and B are set accordingly. And the DX call sign is automatically inserted into the New QSO window of the log.

        And, when ever a station is spotted that you already worked, BM shows it in Grey. If the country has never been workedand logged, then it shows in Red in BM. If it is a new station but not a new country, it is shown in black in BM.

        And, if the station is a LOTW user, the call sign is underlined.

        Many good features. I have been using it for 3 years and it has gotten me 295 countries in most bands in 3 years. Has saved me a lot of searching.

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2 2:43 PM
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

          > You don't tune the rig from the logbook. You tune it by clicking on
          a cluster spot in Bandmaster and the rig tunes to that frequency and
          if the spot is split freq, then your rig VFO A and B are set
          accordingly. And the DX call sign is automatically inserted into the
          New QSO window of the log.

          > And, when ever a station is spotted that you already worked, BM
          shows it in Grey. If the country has never been workedand logged, then
          it shows in Red in BM. If it is a new station but not a new country,
          it is shown in black in BM.

          > And, if the station is a LOTW user, the call sign is underlined.
          >
          > Many good features. I have been using it for 3 years and it has
          gotten me 295 countries in most bands in 3 years. Has saved me a lot
          of searching.

          > Best Regards
          > Dan Schaaf
          > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

          Hi,

          Maybe I should explain better, Log Wondow allows for small steps,
          since the ferquentie tuned to by band master might be slight of.

          73,

          Robert
        • Dan Schaaf
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2 2:50 PM
            I use a knob on my radio labeled "VFO" for small adjustments after I have clicked on a spot. It is much faster than playing around with a digital adjustment in the software.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2 3:53 PM
              Yep mine has too thats odd, seriously when your holding the mouse its
              handy to continue doing that. And then there are short keys. My rig is
              up 2 feet higer and its more convenient to have that feature on the PC
              too.

            • Dan Schaaf
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2 4:09 PM
                Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
                And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all other accessories offset from the radio.

                Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
                But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

                BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

                Best Regards
                Dan Schaaf
                ===============================
                NOBSKA
                www.nobska.net
                ===============================
                Cape Cod Instruments
                www.oceanbiz.net
                ===============================
                Yep mine has too thats odd, seriously when your holding the mouse its
                handy to continue doing that. And then there are short keys. My rig is
                up 2 feet higer and its more convenient to have that feature on the PC
                too.

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

                > I use a knob on my radio labeled "VFO" for small adjustments after I
                have clicked on a spot. It is much faster than playing around with a
                digital adjustment in the software.

                > Best Regards
                > Dan Schaaf
                > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

              • rdvrey
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2 4:31 PM
                  It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
                  work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
                  any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
                  computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
                  to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
                  due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
                  analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
                  communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
                  works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
                  that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
                  you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
                  test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

                • Dan Schaaf
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2 4:52 PM
                    Dear Robert

                    I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

                    BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

                    Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963. Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897) for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

                    If you are interested, my credentials are:
                    My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help them further their education.
                    In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800 processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
                    Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar satellite tracking.
                    Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel selectors on TVs.

                    So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.

                    Best Regards
                    Dan Schaaf
                    ===============================
                    NOBSKA
                    www.nobska.net
                    ===============================
                    Cape Cod Instruments
                    www.oceanbiz.net
                    ===============================

                    It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
                    work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
                    any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
                    computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
                    to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
                    due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
                    analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
                    communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
                    works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
                    that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
                    you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
                    test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

                    > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
                    on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
                    operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
                    hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
                    efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
                    to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
                    skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
                    nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
                    your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
                    > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
                    other accessories offset from the radio.

                    > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
                    > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
                    setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
                    the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

                    > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
                    actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
                    allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.

                    > Best Regards
                    > Dan Schaaf
                    > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
                    > ===============================
                    > NOBSKA
                    > www.nobska.net
                    > ===============================
                    > Cape Cod Instruments
                    > www.oceanbiz.net
                    > ===============================

                  • rdvrey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2 11:18 PM
                      Dear Dan

                      I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
                      alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
                      but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
                      assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
                      channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
                      With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
                      software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
                      up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
                      the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
                      to date database this way.

                      73,

                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 3 4:51 AM
                        Hi Robert,

                        I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                        automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                        answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't exactly
                        fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

                        I was hoping for a more sensible discussion. Actually we are much more
                        alike then one would think. I almost wrote software for a 68008 system
                        but it was to unstable. So I it became a 6809 and I wrote the Os in
                        assembly and the user interface in Pascal. It was a real time 16
                        channel reaction measurement system. 2 ms accurate.
                        With Hamport I can do what I like. And the integration with the dx
                        software does work rather needly. But it doesn't do a real time look
                        up in qrz.com instead it can only use a cd. My guess is that this way
                        the guys at qrz.com earn some money but then again one never has a up
                        to date database this way.

                        73,

                        Robert

                        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Robert
                        >
                        > I understand completely. I will be interested to hear from you if
                        the softwares works to your satisfaction. As I said previously, the
                        HAMPORT window will do what you want, just not in the logger window.

                        > BTW, my rig is a Yaesu FT-920 and FT-897D with Tokyo HyPower
                        amplifier. Enough internal computing power to get the job done.

                        > Yes, I do come from the old days of analog radios, licensed in 1963.
                        Only last year did I purchase a CAT control radio (FT-920 and FT-897)
                        for exactly that reason, CAT control. But 245 of my 295 countries
                        worked were all done on an old FT-101ZD analog, tube radio.

                        > If you are interested, my credentials are:
                        > My first company that I owned in 1996 was The Computer Doctor. I
                        built computers for the underpriveleged kids in the Miami area to help
                        them further their education.
                        > In 1976, I built my own computer from scratch around a Motorola 6800
                        processor , programmed it in Machine Code with an Assembler and wrote
                        an operating system for it to drive a Pertec 5 track tape drive
                        (Nibbles) which I rebuilt from 3 scrap drives.
                        > Then I wrote the code to control az and el antenna control for Oscar
                        satellite tracking.
                        > Then I built the first telephone modem that could be plugged into
                        the computer motherboard buss. That done so that I could send my
                        college assignments to the Professor by modem rather than drive 1 hour
                        to the school. At General Instrument corp. myself and 2 other
                        engineers designed the first Varactor tuned TV VHF/UHF tuner and the
                        accompanying remote control to replace the rotary knob channel
                        selectors on TVs.

                        > So, I am not totally out of touch with technology.
                        >
                        > Best Regards
                        > Dan Schaaf
                        > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
                        > ===============================
                        > NOBSKA
                        > www.nobska.net
                        > ===============================
                        > Cape Cod Instruments
                        > www.oceanbiz.net
                        > ===============================

                      • rdvrey
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 3 5:43 AM
                          Hi Alex,

                          I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                          the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                          has much bigger value, to bad.

                          73,

                          Robert PE1CWU

                          > Hi Robert,
                          >
                          > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                          > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                          > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                          exactly
                          > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.

                        • Dan Schaaf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3 6:57 AM
                            Robert

                            Are you aware of the feature button in BM which lets you look up on QRZ.com ? It only brings up the webpage, but does not insert the info into log. Too bad, would be nice.

                            I wish Alex would add 2 features to BM.
                            1) Auto update of LOTW user list
                            2) Quick Memory buttons for user defined memories especially for DXPed freqs and the 5 channels for 60 meters.
                            3) For you Robert, the mouse adjustment of frequency in BM same as in HAMPORT

                            For as much as I try to simplify my life , it seems always that technology adds another level of complexity to my life which I end up enjoying.

                            Best Regards
                            Dan Schaaf
                            ===============================
                            NOBSKA
                            www.nobska.net
                            ===============================
                            Cape Cod Instruments
                            www.oceanbiz.net
                            ===============================

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3 7:28 AM
                              Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                              subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                              current.

                              You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.

                              73, Pete N4ZR

                            • Neal Campbell
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 4 4:12 AM
                                There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                                realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                                exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                                Spot.

                                Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                                website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                                do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                                whole web page, he is fine with it.

                                73
                                Neal k3nc

                                On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                                > Perhaps something could be worked out so that they could have a
                                > subscription portal, and access would only work if your subscription was
                                > current.
                                >
                                > You might want to suggest it to the people at QRZ.
                                >
                                > 73, Pete N4ZR
                                >
                                > At 08:43 AM 7/3/2008, rdvrey wrote:
                                >>Hi Alex,
                                >>
                                >>I understand and acknowledge the argument, QRZ needs money to uphold
                                >>the incredible service the offer. Its just that real time information
                                >>has much bigger value, to bad.
                                >>
                                >>73,
                                >>
                                >>Robert PE1CWU
                                >>
                                >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
                                >> >
                                >> > Hi Robert,
                                >> >
                                >> > I emailed Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM, a while ago, and asked him if
                                >> > automatic callsign lookup on his server from a program was legal. He
                                >> > answered, "As for its "legitimacy", yes, it's legal, but it isn't
                                >>exactly
                                >> > fair to QRZ". I decided not to implement such function in my software.
                                >> >
                                >> > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                                Neal Campbell
                                Abroham Neal Software
                                Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
                                (540) 242 0911
                                Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
                                www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
                                For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
                                See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
                                action at www.flex-videos.com
                              • Mike Harris
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 4 6:27 AM
                                  Good day,

                                  Would the QRZ lookup feature in Logger32 be in this category? It just
                                  pulls up the name and address details, no ads.

                                  Regards,

                                  Mike VP8NO

                                  | There is a simple solution: subscribe to QRZ Online which allows
                                  | realtime access to the database from programs that utilize his xml
                                  | exchange. I just added it to my OS X DXCluster application called
                                  | Spot.
                                  |
                                  | Also, Fred does not mind if you do a real-time "get" against his
                                  | website, he objects when people filter out only the callsign info and
                                  | do not include the ads. So if you do a URL get, which returns the
                                  | whole web page, he is fine with it.
                                  |
                                  | 73
                                  | Neal k3nc
                                • Neal Campbell
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 4 6:56 AM
                                    Unless you have a subscription with QRZ Online or the author has some
                                    special deal with Fred I suspect that there is a problem.

                                    Neal

                                    action at www.flex-videos.com
                                  • rdvrey
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008