Re: [dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and one of
      the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your logging
      program need to have access to the radio's frequency information. Also,
      ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command the radio
      to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than me think
      that can't work. What has been your experience?

      73, Pete N4ZR

      At 11:12 PM 7/1/2008, rt_tclay wrote:
      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5kd" <g4dvp@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is there any chance of adding a virtual com port (or ports) into Omni-
      > > rig sometime? I'm sure many of us are using programs like the
      >original
      > > logger that work fine on there own, but will not run together with CW
      > > skimmer. I really don't want to change logging programs, but I love
      >the
      > > features of Skimmer.
      > >

      >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
      >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
      >
      >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
      >
      >Tor
      >N4OGW

    • Neal Campbell
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hi Pete

        There is no issue with having two programs connected to a single
        radio. Those of us that use Flex5000s are pretty used to it all the
        time. The requirements are twofold:
        1. some form a port sharing software
        2. two well-behaved program.

        On point #1, there are some commercial port splitters (Eltima sells
        one) and a couple of free-ware ones. I have a very early prototype
        called virtuallY that needs some work but if you can configure it, it
        will allow this. It and some preliminary documentation are on my web
        site. I plan to re-write it in the future to make the configuration
        more intelligent and eliminate the need for other virtual comport
        software in the future. In the PowerSDR work, there is a program
        called DDUtil that intelligently allows a four-port split.

        Point #2 is the real issue. If you have programs that do constant
        updating of the radio parameters, then you are in trouble. Running two
        different copies of something like HRD might be an issue, although I
        never tried it. But in reality its not such a big deal. All programs
        allow the user to use the radio manually so they are prepared to see
        changes occur outside of their control. But if you have a program that
        sets something and expects it always to remain at that setting, it
        will misbehave.

        In reality, most programs poll radios for status most of the time and
        send very few "setting commands" (a la the steppir controller).

        Neal k3nc
        www.abrohamnealsoftware.com

        On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
        > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and one of
        > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your logging
        > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information. Also,
        > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command the radio
        > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than me think
        > that can't work. What has been your experience?
        >
        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        >
        > At 11:12 PM 7/1/2008, rt_tclay wrote:
        >>--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5kd" <g4dvp@...> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Is there any chance of adding a virtual com port (or ports) into Omni-
        >> > rig sometime? I'm sure many of us are using programs like the
        >>original
        >> > logger that work fine on there own, but will not run together with CW
        >> > skimmer. I really don't want to change logging programs, but I love
        >>the
        >> > features of Skimmer.
        >> >

        >>Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
        >>various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
        >>
        >>http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
        >>
        >>Tor
        >>N4OGW

        Neal Campbell
        Abroham Neal Software
        Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
        (540) 242 0911
        Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
        www.abrohamnealsoftware.com - introduction priced at $10.99
        For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
        See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
        action at www.flex-videos.com
      • Barry GM3YEH
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
          Hi Pete,

          The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by Tor
          is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
          hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance. I
          have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
          virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The Physical
          port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
          from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it fairly
          hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.

          73 de Barry GM3YEH.

          > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
          and one of
          > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
          logging
          > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
          Also,
          > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
          the radio
          > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
          me think
          > that can't work. What has been your experience?
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          >
          > At 11:12 PM 7/1/2008, rt_tclay wrote:
          > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5kd" <g4dvp@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Is there any chance of adding a virtual com port (or ports)
          into Omni-
          > > > rig sometime? I'm sure many of us are using programs like the
          > >original
          > > > logger that work fine on there own, but will not run together
          with CW
          > > > skimmer. I really don't want to change logging programs, but I
          love
          > >the
          > > > features of Skimmer.
          > > >

          > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
          > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
          > >
          > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
          > >
          > >Tor
          > >N4OGW

        • Dave Baxter
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
            Take care, with multiple programs (even just two) trying to use the same
            hardware device, you could still get a "confused" device, if certain
            commands and parameters get mixed in time.

            You should idealy get the logging program to talk to OmniRig, and let
            that sort out the digital confusion that could occur, that's what it's
            for.

            Re: http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
            Nice looking, downloaded for evaluation, looks like it might even do
            Serial<>TCP...

            Look also for N8VB's "Virtual Null Modem" drivers, free for ham use,
            that allows you to create any number of linked pairs of "com" ports, so
            different programs can communicate with each other, "the old way" with
            serial ports. Good for debugging things.

            I've used it to get OmniRig, to talk to an older Icom radio, that uses a
            4 bit parallel IO. All the Icom IO stuff was done in a custom program I
            threw together (still very much WIP) while taking orders from OmniRig
            via one of N8VB's virtual null modem links. It works, but I'm still
            "engineering" the parallel IO part.

            It's also "Very" good, to have a Terminal program on one end, and
            OmniRig on the other, when modifying the rig driver files, so you can
            see exactly what goes out to the radio, as the radio would see it. (It
            you're quick, or use the old Win16 "Terminal.exe" program, and have the
            "buttons" programmed up, you can even send data back to OmniRig!)

            If you google for N8VB, you should find the driver install download.

            FYI. For those interested, I found that INPOUT32.DLL is excellent
            (google for it) at letting you use a printer port for example (or any
            other IO card) for general purpose IO, in a NT based system. (Win2k and
            XP, I don't have Vista) with no blue screen problems. The only problem
            I'm having, is the Icom is very slow to react, and often needs two
            attempts when a band change is involved. That's every time with Faros
            of course, sometimes missing a beacon. Still, it sometimes fills the
            gap when the Kenwood radio is used for something else.

            Cheers All..

            Dave G0WBX/G8KBV

            My Faros status site at: http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/ I still think
            it's neat we can do all this stuff. Many thanks to Alex of course.
            This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited. www.palmercook.co.uk
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
              That's pretty amazing. I think I need to try this. In my setup,the only
              physical port is the one on the radio, so I'm hoping that this can work
              with USB ports created by another driver. Guess I'll find out. In a
              pinch, I *do* have a physical port I can use for one radio.

              73, Pete

              At 06:18 PM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
              >Hi Pete,
              >
              >The Eterlogic freeware virtual serial port emulator mentioned by Tor
              >is the one I've been using for about a month now. It was really
              >hard to find and I almost had given up when I found it by chance. I
              >have CW Skimmer and N1MM on separate virtual COM ports with both
              >virtual ports connected to a single physical COM port. The Physical
              >port has the rig CAT (IC751A) and both applications can read/write
              >from/to the rig CAT. This setup is stable and I've pushed it fairly
              >hard a few times in recent contests with complete success.
              >
              >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
              >
              >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ,
              >and one of
              > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
              >logging
              > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
              >Also,
              > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
              >the radio
              > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
              >me think
              > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
              > >
              > > 73, Pete N4ZR

              >into Omni-
              > > >original
              >with CW
              >love
              > > >the
              > > > >

              > > >Here's a free virtual port program. I'm using it with skimmer and
              > > >various logging programs so both can connect to the radio:
              > > >
              > > >http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
              > > >
              > > >Tor
              > > >N4OGW

            • rt_tclay
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008

                > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
                one of
                > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
                logging
                > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
                Also,
                > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
                the radio
                > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
                me think
                > that can't work. What has been your experience?

                As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
                frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
                clicking/typing in the logging program.

                The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
                glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
                don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.

                As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
                programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
                poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.

                Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
                something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.

                I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                Tor
                N4OGW
              • Barry GM3YEH
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Pete,
                  USB works fine. I only have 1 physical COM port - but I need it for
                  Winkey so I use a USB/RS232 cable from a PC USB port to drive my
                  CAT. This gives me a second physical COM port (I use COM8). The
                  Eterlogic utility is configured to connect physical COM8 to 2 virtual
                  COM ports (I use COM5 and COM6). CW skimmer drives COM5 and N1MM
                  drives COM6. I have tested HRD on COM6 as well and it works as
                  well. Like Tor, I can do rig control from either program and both
                  programs track manual rig changes synchronously. I also have CW
                  Skimmer Tenet spots going into N1MM. Let me know by direct e-mail if
                  you have any problem configuring the Eterlogic tool and I'll send you
                  my configuration settings.
                  73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+ here
                    that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that using this
                    software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                    might be asking too much.

                    73, Pete

                    At 11:56 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                    >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Tor - I'm writing an article on implementing Skimmer for NCJ, and
                    >one of
                    > > the big imponderables is the situation where both Skimmer and your
                    >logging
                    > > program need to have access to the radio's frequency information.
                    >Also,
                    > > ideally, both programs should have independent ability to command
                    >the radio
                    > > to move to a different frequency. People who know a lot more than
                    >me think
                    > > that can't work. What has been your experience?
                    > >

                    >As others have said, it seems to work just fine for me. I can change
                    >frequency by either clicking in skimmer, moving the radio dial, or
                    >clicking/typing in the logging program.
                    >
                    >The reason it works is that most current radios are still using
                    >glacially slow interface speeds (4800 baud on my K2). And they really
                    >don't exchange a lot of information with the computer.
                    >
                    >As long as the software is done correctly buffering the different
                    >programs from the physical device, and as long as you don't need to
                    >poll the radio too fast, I don't think it is a big issue.
                    >
                    >Probably the next generation of radios will go to USB or ethernet or
                    >something faster and then something else will have to be worked out.
                    >
                    >I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                    >:) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                    >~20 KHz in IF mode.
                    >
                    >Tor
                    >N4OGW

                  • rt_tclay
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008

                      > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                      here
                      > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                      using this
                      > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                      > might be asking too much.

                      Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                      converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.

                      Tor
                      N4OGW
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                        Something just dawned on me - I'm guessing that you are using Skimmer in
                        either 3-KHz radio or SDR-IF mode. I want to use it with a standalone
                        SoftRock. In this mode, I'd like to be able to click on the Skimmer
                        waterfall and have my radio go to that frequency, whatever it is, but it
                        appears to me that OmniRig is not active in Softrock mode.

                        73, Pete

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                          Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for the
                          info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for what I
                          want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it move my
                          radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a standalone fixed
                          frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for obvious
                          reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out to have
                          Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable the
                          clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.

                          73, Pete

                          At 02:24 PM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
                          >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks, Toir. Unfortunately, I am so committed to USB and the MK2R+
                          >here
                          > > that it will be really awkward to do otherwise. I suspect that
                          >using this
                          > > software with the virtual serial ports created by the MicroHam drivers
                          > > might be asking too much.
                          > >

                          >Well, give it a try anyway. If port sharing is working with USB/serial
                          >converters, I suspect microham virtual serial ports aren't that different.
                          >
                          >Tor
                          >N4OGW

                        • Barry GM3YEH
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                            Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                            suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                            changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                            HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                            The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                            applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                            73 de Barry GM3YEH

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                              Barry, what is involved in modifying Softrock as an IF feature with your
                              rig. I'd like to do this eventually but have not really seen what the
                              mods are for it. I currently have the 40 meter Softrock Lite which is
                              just about to get the first smoke test. I think that unit is modifiable
                              to use in the IF mode. Thanks for any info or URL you might have with
                              this info.

                              Bruce, K2BET
                              ------------------

                              Barry GM3YEH wrote:

                              > Pete - I'm running my Softrock/CW Skimmer setup in IF mode as you
                              > suspected. This let's me use the system on all bands by simply
                              > changing band on the rig (I can also change band from N1MM [or
                              > HRD]). When I change bands the Softrock/CW Skimmer system follows.
                              > The QRG is picked up from the rig CAT and passed to both
                              > applications to maintain full rig/CW Skimmer/N1MM frequency sync.
                              > 73 de Barry GM3YEH
                              >
                              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Well, I have it going, and it seems to work FB. Many thanks for
                              > the
                              > > info. Alas alas, as I should have realized, it is not useful for
                              > what I
                              > > want to do, which is to click on a trace in Skimmer and have it
                              > move my
                              > > radio to that frequency. The problem is that I am using a
                              > standalone fixed
                              > > frequency SoftRock, and in that mode Omnirig is not active, for
                              > obvious
                              > > reasons. I think I'll ask Alex if something might be worked out
                              > to have
                              > > Omnirig active only in "Skimmer sends to radio" mode, to enable
                              > the
                              > > clicking without having Skimmer try to follow my radio.
                              > >
                              > > 73, Pete

                              > http://www.eset.com
                            • bill_w4zv
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                                > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

                                Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                khz span.

                                What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                                by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

                                http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

                                "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                                things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                                to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                                creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                                It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                                along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                                convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                                Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                                are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                                status and setup / diagnostic view."

                                73, Bill
                              • Barry GM3YEH
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                                  Hi Bruce,
                                  It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
                                  IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
                                  and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
                                  down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
                                  and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
                                  divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
                                  a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
                                  direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
                                  73 de Barry GM3YEH

                                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
                                    Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
                                    possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

                                    Bruce
                                    -------

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
                                      Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
                                      being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
                                      in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
                                      applications.

                                      73, Pete

                                      At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
                                      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                      > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                      > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                      >
                                      >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                      >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                      >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                      >khz span.
                                      >
                                      >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
                                      >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
                                      >
                                      >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
                                      >
                                      >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
                                      >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
                                      >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
                                      >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
                                      >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
                                      >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
                                      >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
                                      >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
                                      >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
                                      >status and setup / diagnostic view."
                                      >
                                      >73, Bill

                                    • rt_tclay
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                                        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
                                        > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
                                        > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
                                        >
                                        > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
                                        > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
                                        > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
                                        > khz span.

                                        Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
                                        file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
                                        more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

                                        If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
                                        using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
                                        well for SDR use.

                                        Tor
                                        N4OGW