[dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.2

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22 8:38 PM

      > Hi Jerry,
      >
      > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
      much better
      > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
      mode.
      > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA

      I don't agree. I can do a lot with just 3kHz. It has been very
      valuable for me locating the station that the DX is coming back to
      more quickly. I modified the control script so that CW Skimmer
      controls the Orion's Sub Receiver frequency and NOT the main. However,
      with just 3kHz I am moving the sub receiver's frequency around too
      much and the delay in CW Skimmer updating after a frequency shift
      causes problems. Most DX listens to no more than a 10 kHz window....
      being able to receive 8 kHz is a lot better than 3 kHz.

      If my only choice is to modify my Orion....

      73,
      Jerry, KG6TT
    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22 8:41 PM
        .... also.....

        Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
        reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
        the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
        the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
        immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
        moment. What can be more valuable than that?

        73,
        Jerry, KKG6TT
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23 4:40 AM
          At 11:41 PM 6/22/2008, jeraldvolpe wrote:
          >.... also.....
          >
          >Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
          >reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
          >the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
          >the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
          >immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
          >moment. What can be more valuable than that?
          >
          >73,
          >Jerry, KKG6TT

          Depends what your objective is - for contesting, the whole idea is to
          harvest the calls of stations CQing over as wide a bandwidth as possible,
          with Skimmer running in the background. Totally different concept than
          DXing, where I agree that the 3 KHz mode is useful.