Re: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.2

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
      Hi Jerry,

      8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do much better
      if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF mode.
      Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008

        > Hi Jerry,
        >
        > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
        much better
        > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
        mode.
        > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.

        Or take the Sub RX IF after the 20 kHz roofing filter. Then you could
        set the Sub to a fixed frequency (so frequency changes would not
        disrupt Skimmer) near the center of your 20 kHz area of interest and
        use the Main RX for tuning around. In any event, SR-IF is internally
        limited to 24 kHz total.

        73, Bill
      • jeraldvolpe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008

          > Hi Jerry,
          >
          > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
          much better
          > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
          mode.
          > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.
          >
          > 73 Alex VE3NEA

          I don't agree. I can do a lot with just 3kHz. It has been very
          valuable for me locating the station that the DX is coming back to
          more quickly. I modified the control script so that CW Skimmer
          controls the Orion's Sub Receiver frequency and NOT the main. However,
          with just 3kHz I am moving the sub receiver's frequency around too
          much and the delay in CW Skimmer updating after a frequency shift
          causes problems. Most DX listens to no more than a 10 kHz window....
          being able to receive 8 kHz is a lot better than 3 kHz.

          If my only choice is to modify my Orion....

          73,
          Jerry, KG6TT
        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
            .... also.....

            Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
            reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
            the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
            the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
            immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
            moment. What can be more valuable than that?

            73,
            Jerry, KKG6TT
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2008
              At 11:41 PM 6/22/2008, jeraldvolpe wrote:
              >.... also.....
              >
              >Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
              >reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
              >the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
              >the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
              >immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
              >moment. What can be more valuable than that?
              >
              >73,
              >Jerry, KKG6TT

              Depends what your objective is - for contesting, the whole idea is to
              harvest the calls of stations CQing over as wide a bandwidth as possible,
              with Skimmer running in the background. Totally different concept than
              DXing, where I agree that the 3 KHz mode is useful.