Re: CW Skimmer 1.2

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
      Alex,
      Great seeing another release. I was sold on CW Skimmer I think from
      the first day.

      I know I asked before.... Please, please, consider opening up the
      'transceiver' bandwidth from 3 kHz to some option above that those of
      us with transceivers that are capable of more than 3 kHz audio. The
      Ten-Tec Orion's sub receiver (what I use for CW Skimmer) can
      faithfully produce up to 8 kHz... flat. It is a shame that CW Skimmer
      can't tap into the large Orion market a bit better.

      73,
      Jerry, KG6TT
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
        Hi Jerry,

        8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do much better
        if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF mode.
        Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008

          > Hi Jerry,
          >
          > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
          much better
          > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
          mode.
          > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.

          Or take the Sub RX IF after the 20 kHz roofing filter. Then you could
          set the Sub to a fixed frequency (so frequency changes would not
          disrupt Skimmer) near the center of your 20 kHz area of interest and
          use the Main RX for tuning around. In any event, SR-IF is internally
          limited to 24 kHz total.

          73, Bill
        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008

            > Hi Jerry,
            >
            > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
            much better
            > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
            mode.
            > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.
            >
            > 73 Alex VE3NEA

            I don't agree. I can do a lot with just 3kHz. It has been very
            valuable for me locating the station that the DX is coming back to
            more quickly. I modified the control script so that CW Skimmer
            controls the Orion's Sub Receiver frequency and NOT the main. However,
            with just 3kHz I am moving the sub receiver's frequency around too
            much and the delay in CW Skimmer updating after a frequency shift
            causes problems. Most DX listens to no more than a 10 kHz window....
            being able to receive 8 kHz is a lot better than 3 kHz.

            If my only choice is to modify my Orion....

            73,
            Jerry, KG6TT
          • jeraldvolpe
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
              .... also.....

              Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
              reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
              the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
              the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
              immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
              moment. What can be more valuable than that?

              73,
              Jerry, KKG6TT
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2008
                At 11:41 PM 6/22/2008, jeraldvolpe wrote:
                >.... also.....
                >
                >Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
                >reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
                >the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
                >the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
                >immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
                >moment. What can be more valuable than that?
                >
                >73,
                >Jerry, KKG6TT

                Depends what your objective is - for contesting, the whole idea is to
                harvest the calls of stations CQing over as wide a bandwidth as possible,
                with Skimmer running in the background. Totally different concept than
                DXing, where I agree that the 3 KHz mode is useful.