CW Skimmer 1.2

  • Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22 9:04 AM
      CW Skimmer 1.2 has been released. New in this version:

      - support of QuickSilver QS1R radio;
      - callsign validation;
      - bug fixes.

      The upgrade is free for all registered users.

      73 Alex VE3NEA
    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22 1:55 PM
        Alex,
        Great seeing another release. I was sold on CW Skimmer I think from
        the first day.

        I know I asked before.... Please, please, consider opening up the
        'transceiver' bandwidth from 3 kHz to some option above that those of
        us with transceivers that are capable of more than 3 kHz audio. The
        Ten-Tec Orion's sub receiver (what I use for CW Skimmer) can
        faithfully produce up to 8 kHz... flat. It is a shame that CW Skimmer
        can't tap into the large Orion market a bit better.

        73,
        Jerry, KG6TT
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22 4:23 PM
          Hi Jerry,

          8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do much better
          if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF mode.
          Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22 5:26 PM

            > Hi Jerry,
            >
            > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
            much better
            > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
            mode.
            > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.

            Or take the Sub RX IF after the 20 kHz roofing filter. Then you could
            set the Sub to a fixed frequency (so frequency changes would not
            disrupt Skimmer) near the center of your 20 kHz area of interest and
            use the Main RX for tuning around. In any event, SR-IF is internally
            limited to 24 kHz total.

            73, Bill
          • jeraldvolpe
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22 8:38 PM

              > Hi Jerry,
              >
              > 8 kHz is not enough for any serious work. With Orion, you can do
              much better
              > if you pick up the 14 KHz IF signal and use the Skimmer in the SR-IF
              mode.
              > Orion has a bandwidth of 20+ kHz in this mode.
              >
              > 73 Alex VE3NEA

              I don't agree. I can do a lot with just 3kHz. It has been very
              valuable for me locating the station that the DX is coming back to
              more quickly. I modified the control script so that CW Skimmer
              controls the Orion's Sub Receiver frequency and NOT the main. However,
              with just 3kHz I am moving the sub receiver's frequency around too
              much and the delay in CW Skimmer updating after a frequency shift
              causes problems. Most DX listens to no more than a 10 kHz window....
              being able to receive 8 kHz is a lot better than 3 kHz.

              If my only choice is to modify my Orion....

              73,
              Jerry, KG6TT
            • jeraldvolpe
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22 8:41 PM
                .... also.....

                Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
                reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
                the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
                the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
                immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
                moment. What can be more valuable than that?

                73,
                Jerry, KKG6TT
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23 4:40 AM
                  At 11:41 PM 6/22/2008, jeraldvolpe wrote:
                  >.... also.....
                  >
                  >Since I have modified the rig control script so that CW Skimmer is
                  >reading and updating the frequency of the Orion's sub receiver I lock
                  >the Orion's transmitter to the sub receiver VFO too. So clicking on
                  >the signal on the CW Skimmer display takes the Orion's transmitter
                  >immediately to the frequency that the DX is listening to at that very
                  >moment. What can be more valuable than that?
                  >
                  >73,
                  >Jerry, KKG6TT

                  Depends what your objective is - for contesting, the whole idea is to
                  harvest the calls of stations CQing over as wide a bandwidth as possible,
                  with Skimmer running in the background. Totally different concept than
                  DXing, where I agree that the 3 KHz mode is useful.