Re: [dxatlas] Skimmer on VHF/UHF

  • David Ackrill
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
      Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
      > Hi Dave,
      >
      > The bandwidth of the input signal in the 3-kHz mode must be 3 kHz. If it is
      > less than that, the sensitivity of the decoder drops significantly. Your
      > signal has only about 1500 Hz BW - at this bandwidth, CW Skimmer can decode
      > only very strong signals. Please see if you can use a wider filter in your
      > radio.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA

      Thanks for the explanation Alex,

      I guess that's because I was using the 'CW' setting on my TS2000X, the
      width setting was 2000Hz.

      I will try again using USB, as that allows me to go up to 50000Hz.
      Although your point about needing a stronger signal is born out by the
      fact that the stronger signal from the beacon today was being decoded.

      I've been using the SDR-IQ on 20M with CWSkimmer today, and have got the
      aggregator running now. However, I have noticed some errors coming up
      on the aggregator DOS window.

      One says "error:cannot send spot - http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/rx.php -
      500 server closed connection without sending any data back" and the
      other says "500 cant connect to skimmer.dxwatch.com:80 (connect: Unknown
      error)" then the next time it goes through OK for quite a long time
      until the next error message comes up.

      I thought I'd mention these errors in case they mean something to the
      operation of the aggregator.

      Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
    • David Ackrill
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
        David Ackrill wrote:

        > I will try again using USB, as that allows me to go up to 50000Hz.

        Ooops, that's a typo of course. The maximum width, with the TS2000X in
        USB, is 5000Hz.

        Dave (G0DJA)
      • David Ackrill
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
          Thinking ahead a little...

          Is there a way to use the SDR-IQ/14 as a transverter IF, but have the
          Skimmer log the spots on a different frequency?

          For instance, in Europe the 4M band (70MHz) is becoming available in
          more countries to Amateurs but many/most commercial radios don't cover
          the band. Or, even if they do the resultant signals and receivers are
          poor. Therefore, many people use a transverter for that band.

          Similarly, on the higher microwave bands it's not uncommon to use
          transverters from bands such as 10m/2m or even 70cm.

          Dave (G0DJA)