Reverse Beacon Network News - #1

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2008
      The reverse beacon network has started to take off. As I write this, we
      have 10 CW Skimmer reverse beacons active, and 16 have been on the network
      in the last 24 hours. 20 and 40 meters are currently covered, and stations
      are active on both US coasts and in the midwest midwest, as well as
      northern and southern Europe. I have a promise that a station will be
      activated in VK-land soon.

      Reverse beacons come and go at will. The network is constantly
      changing. You can find out which reverse beacons are active by going to
      http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/skimmers.php. See the spots pour in at
      http://skimmer.dxwatch.com

      Felipe, PY1NB has also activated a pretty sophisticated query capability on
      the main site at http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/ With a little thought, you can
      find out what is being heard by a given reverse beacon, by whom, on what
      bands, etc. For example, you can see what European stations were heard
      first on a given band on a given day in the US - F5RRS opened the 20M band
      today, all up and down the East Coast.

      A couple of notes for prospective participants:

      -- A wide-band receiver is not absolutely required to try out the reverse
      beacon idea. Download and install a trial copy of Skimmer 1.1 (you can do
      this again even if you downloaded a trial copy of version 1.0) from
      www.dxatlas.com. Download the "aggregator" from
      http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/downloads/skimmer_aggregator.zip. Connect a
      cable from the audio of your transceiver to the Line In jack on your sound
      card (any old sound card will work for this).

      Run Skimmer and set it up in 3-KHz radio mode. Fill in the operator
      tab. Tune your radio to an area of activity on any band, and you should
      see CW streams on the Skimmer waterfall. Start the aggregator, and your
      spots will go to the network - that's all there is to it.

      One caution - Skimmer works best if you use its frequency controls to
      change your radio's frequency - you would need to set up Omni-Rig for your
      radio, on the CAT tab in Skimmer's settings, and set up for computer
      control of your radio if you haven't already. My experiments suggest that
      if you tune your radio with that big knob in the middle you will have to
      stop and wait a bit before Skimmer gets sorted out and starts decoding
      properly again.

      -- Be sure you enter a 6-character grid square in the location field of the
      Operator tab in Skimmer. If you don't know the last two, enter LL or MM
      (the center of the 4-character grid square.

      See you on the reverse beacon network?