"Reverse Beacon" Progress Report

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14 8:23 AM
      In the last 24 hours, we have had 8 "reverse beacons" online, using
      broadband SDR receivers and VE3NEA's CW Skimmer software to sample what
      stations are being heard on various bands at their QTHs. Many people have
      reported sending CQ with their antennas pointed in the appropriate
      direction and seeing themselves "spotted" with seconds. If you would like
      to see what spots are coming in now, go to http://skimmer.dxwatch.com . If
      you would like to see which stations are active and which bands they are
      listening on, go to http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/skimmers.php

      In the meantime, we are still looking actively for additional stations to
      fill in our geographic distribution. The US east coast, western Europe and
      Brazil are all represented on one band or another, but we need additional
      bands covered everywhere, and additional sites in East Asia, the western
      United States, Australia/New Zealand, and Russia. If you'd like to join
      us, or just try it out, all you need is a broadband SDR receiver of some
      sort (a US$13 SoftRock works just fine), a trial copy of the CW Skimmer
      software, and a small freeware application called "the aggregator",
      available for download at
      http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/downloads/skimmer_aggregator.zip

      All you need to do is set up and run CW Skimmer, fill in your callsign and
      grid square, and then run the aggregator. It will take care of the details
      of forwarding your spots to the hub server, at http://skimmer.dxwatch.com
      . We are working on some additional tutorials and a FAQ for the site, but
      in the meantime, why not try it - it's fun!