Re: Help Needed with Skimmer/Telnet

  • Barry GM3YEH
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9 8:23 AM
      Hi Pete,

      CW Skimmer/telnet works perfectly with N1MM as you have already
      mentioned. I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but when I
      run Skimmer in IF mode I need to give the rig CAT control to Skimmer
      so that it can telnet the correct frequency to N1MM. My Skimmer
      spots then appear correctly in the N1MM bandmap - but I can't use
      N1MM to QSY to a spot because Skimmer has the CAT control. Is there
      any way around this problem I wonder?

      73 de Barry GM3YEH.

      > I'm writing to request help in cleaning up a minor problem with the
      > Skimmer's telnet output.
      >
      > Those who have been following this will recall that a couple of
      versions
      > ago Skimmer was changed so that when it output a spot, the spot was
      > attributed to the call-sign of the owner instead of to Skimmer --
      the
      > purpose of this change was to prevent spots being filtered out of,
      for
      > example, a logging program was filtering out spots from Europe (and
      > *thinking* that "Skimmer" was a Swedish call sign).
      >
      > The format that Alex chose for the callsign of Skimmer spots was
      > "[callsign]-#", similar to the "[callsign]-@" format of spots from
      DX
      > Summit. I verified that both DX4WIN and N1MM Logger handled such
      spots
      > properly - that is, they were fed from telnet, appeared in the
      telnet
      > window, and then were properly entered on bandmaps, spot lists, etc.
      >
      > It appears, however, that some logging software is having trouble
      with the
      > format. For example, some users have found that Win-Test receives
      the
      > telnetted Skimmer spots OK, but fails to pass them on as spots to
      its
      > bandmap or cluster announce windows. Generally speaking, this
      means that
      > the software is employing some sort of pattern matching test to
      distinguish
      > between spots and WWV announcements, talk messages, and
      announcements, and
      > that the Skimmer spots are "failing" that test, which can and will
      vary
      > from one software package to another.
      >
      > I am getting in touch with the Win-Test developers to try to
      understand
      > what that particular problem is, but in the meantime, I can sure
      use the
      > help of others who have tested or can test the Skimmer telnet
      > output. Specifically, can someone confirm whether Skimmer spots
      are
      > properly posted to the bandmap or spot list in TR Log, Writelog,
      CTWin and
      > EI5DI? Are there other contest loggers I have missed? How about
      general
      > loggers - particularly DXBase, Logger32, AA6YQ's DXLab suite, etc.?
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR

    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9 5:08 PM
        I've managed to set up 2 virtual COM ports using a virtual serial
        port tool from Eltima Software. One goes to CW Skimmer and the
        other to N1MM. The 2 virtual ports are connected to my real port
        where I have the rig CAT control. This works fine now with
        Skimmer/N1MM/rig all talking to each other as expected - but there's
        a bit of a drawback. The Eltima tool costs about 100GBP (~200USD)
        so after the 14 day trial expires I'll be back to square one! Any
        (less expensive) would be very welcome.
        Barry GM3YEH.

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9 6:59 PM
          Is that the Eltima Serial Splitter? I didn't realize it was that
          expensive. Still, not a bad fix if you can control the radio with either
          Skimmer or MM.

          73, Pete

        • rt_tclay
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11 9:32 AM
            I hope a feature can be added to allow seeing the full SoftRock
            bandwidth in "SoftRock-IF" mode (something like Softrock-IF-Wide
            mode). I currently use Skimmer connected to the IF of my K2 via a
            Softrock. To get the full 48 KHz I turn off CAT control and
            always park the K2 at a fixed freq. The center frequency is then
            entered by hand to get the spotted frequencies correct and must be
            changed manually if I change bands. Kind of a pain...

            Tor
            N4OGW