Help Needed with Skimmer/Telnet

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16 6:35 AM
      I'm writing to request help in cleaning up a minor problem with the
      Skimmer's telnet output.

      Those who have been following this will recall that a couple of versions
      ago Skimmer was changed so that when it output a spot, the spot was
      attributed to the call-sign of the owner instead of to Skimmer -- the
      purpose of this change was to prevent spots being filtered out of, for
      example, a logging program was filtering out spots from Europe (and
      *thinking* that "Skimmer" was a Swedish call sign).

      The format that Alex chose for the callsign of Skimmer spots was
      "[callsign]-#", similar to the "[callsign]-@" format of spots from DX
      Summit. I verified that both DX4WIN and N1MM Logger handled such spots
      properly - that is, they were fed from telnet, appeared in the telnet
      window, and then were properly entered on bandmaps, spot lists, etc.

      It appears, however, that some logging software is having trouble with the
      format. For example, some users have found that Win-Test receives the
      telnetted Skimmer spots OK, but fails to pass them on as spots to its
      bandmap or cluster announce windows. Generally speaking, this means that
      the software is employing some sort of pattern matching test to distinguish
      between spots and WWV announcements, talk messages, and announcements, and
      that the Skimmer spots are "failing" that test, which can and will vary
      from one software package to another.

      I am getting in touch with the Win-Test developers to try to understand
      what that particular problem is, but in the meantime, I can sure use the
      help of others who have tested or can test the Skimmer telnet
      output. Specifically, can someone confirm whether Skimmer spots are
      properly posted to the bandmap or spot list in TR Log, Writelog, CTWin and
      EI5DI? Are there other contest loggers I have missed? How about general
      loggers - particularly DXBase, Logger32, AA6YQ's DXLab suite, etc.?

      Thanks in advance!

      73, Pete N4ZR
    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
        Hi Pete,

        CW Skimmer/telnet works perfectly with N1MM as you have already
        mentioned. I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but when I
        run Skimmer in IF mode I need to give the rig CAT control to Skimmer
        so that it can telnet the correct frequency to N1MM. My Skimmer
        spots then appear correctly in the N1MM bandmap - but I can't use
        N1MM to QSY to a spot because Skimmer has the CAT control. Is there
        any way around this problem I wonder?

        73 de Barry GM3YEH.

        > I'm writing to request help in cleaning up a minor problem with the
        > Skimmer's telnet output.
        >
        > Those who have been following this will recall that a couple of
        versions
        > ago Skimmer was changed so that when it output a spot, the spot was
        > attributed to the call-sign of the owner instead of to Skimmer --
        the
        > purpose of this change was to prevent spots being filtered out of,
        for
        > example, a logging program was filtering out spots from Europe (and
        > *thinking* that "Skimmer" was a Swedish call sign).
        >
        > The format that Alex chose for the callsign of Skimmer spots was
        > "[callsign]-#", similar to the "[callsign]-@" format of spots from
        DX
        > Summit. I verified that both DX4WIN and N1MM Logger handled such
        spots
        > properly - that is, they were fed from telnet, appeared in the
        telnet
        > window, and then were properly entered on bandmaps, spot lists, etc.
        >
        > It appears, however, that some logging software is having trouble
        with the
        > format. For example, some users have found that Win-Test receives
        the
        > telnetted Skimmer spots OK, but fails to pass them on as spots to
        its
        > bandmap or cluster announce windows. Generally speaking, this
        means that
        > the software is employing some sort of pattern matching test to
        distinguish
        > between spots and WWV announcements, talk messages, and
        announcements, and
        > that the Skimmer spots are "failing" that test, which can and will
        vary
        > from one software package to another.
        >
        > I am getting in touch with the Win-Test developers to try to
        understand
        > what that particular problem is, but in the meantime, I can sure
        use the
        > help of others who have tested or can test the Skimmer telnet
        > output. Specifically, can someone confirm whether Skimmer spots
        are
        > properly posted to the bandmap or spot list in TR Log, Writelog,
        CTWin and
        > EI5DI? Are there other contest loggers I have missed? How about
        general
        > loggers - particularly DXBase, Logger32, AA6YQ's DXLab suite, etc.?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > 73, Pete N4ZR

      • Barry GM3YEH
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
          I've managed to set up 2 virtual COM ports using a virtual serial
          port tool from Eltima Software. One goes to CW Skimmer and the
          other to N1MM. The 2 virtual ports are connected to my real port
          where I have the rig CAT control. This works fine now with
          Skimmer/N1MM/rig all talking to each other as expected - but there's
          a bit of a drawback. The Eltima tool costs about 100GBP (~200USD)
          so after the 14 day trial expires I'll be back to square one! Any
          (less expensive) would be very welcome.
          Barry GM3YEH.

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
            Is that the Eltima Serial Splitter? I didn't realize it was that
            expensive. Still, not a bad fix if you can control the radio with either
            Skimmer or MM.

            73, Pete

          • rt_tclay
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2008
              I hope a feature can be added to allow seeing the full SoftRock
              bandwidth in "SoftRock-IF" mode (something like Softrock-IF-Wide
              mode). I currently use Skimmer connected to the IF of my K2 via a
              Softrock. To get the full 48 KHz I turn off CAT control and
              always park the K2 at a fixed freq. The center frequency is then
              entered by hand to get the spotted frequencies correct and must be
              changed manually if I change bands. Kind of a pain...

              Tor
              N4OGW