"Reverse Beacon" Experiment using CW Skimmer

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 6:23 AM
      I have an 20M enhanced Softrock Lite listening on ~14000-14090 KHz
      with a beta CW Skimmer program by VE3NEA that has Telnet capability.
      From 1200-1400Z, beginning today, Monday, 3/3, if you wish to see if
      you are being received at my QTH near Washington, DC, connect to
      24.126.38.27:7300 with your DX cluster client (any logging program
      should work), transmit your callsign at least twice somewhere in that
      frequency range, preferably along with a CQ or QRL?, and watch to see
      if you are spotted by the Skimmer. It looks for those "keywords" and
      for a callsign repeated at least twice, and fading can prevent copy,
      so if it doesn't work the first time please try again. My stack of
      tribanders will be pointed toward Europe at that time, but I should
      be able to hear most US stations as well.

      This is an informal test of the reverse beacon idea. It is likely,
      based on CPU loading considerations, that a real reverse beacon
      capability worldwide will depend on development of a web server
      capable of handling multiple simultaneous user requests, but this is
      a first proof of concept.