RE: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3 4:41 AM
      Sorry, but this info is not correct - as the "tooltip" says when you put
      your cursor on it, the drop-down menu to the left of the "X" is filter
      labels. It does not affect the actual decoding, just how the individual
      signals are identified.

      I suspect that what is happening is that you are not properly identifying
      the station whose decoded text you want to appear in the one-line decoder
      output at the bottom of the waterfall. To do that you need to move your
      cursor (in the call list area) up next to the decoder that matches the
      stream on the waterfall that you want to decode. You will see the cursor
      change to a left-pointing arrow. Left click and a symbol that looks like a
      page of type will appear next to the decoder, and the signal will be
      decoded character-by-character in the one-line decoder area.

      One of the neat things about Skimmer is that while you may only be watching
      one signal at the bottom of the waterfall, it is continuing to decode all
      the signals that it can make any CW sense out of. That means that if you
      position your cursor in the call list next to a decoder, in the area where
      the cursor changes to a left-pointing arrow, in a second or less you will
      see all of the CW that Skimmer has decoded from that signal while you were
      doing other things.

      In my several weeks' experience with Skimmer, it can consistently decode
      signals that are only a few dB above the noise floor, so signal strength is
      really not a significant consideration. If you can see it as CW on the
      waterfall, Skimmer can decode it.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3 7:45 AM
        Hi Bruce,

        Thank you for answering Spencer's questions, your answers were perfectly
        correct and very detailed.

        > For some reason Alex's program seems to
        > jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a
        > few times to get it to read the text reliably.

        In the 3-kHz mode, this happens because the CW Pitch setting in the Skimmer
        is incorrect. Change it slightly until you have a perfect match between the
        actual operating frequency of your transceiver and the frequency marked with
        a green triangle in CW Skimmer. In the SoftRock-IF mode, you would have to
        adjust the Audio IF frequency instead to achieve the same result.

        73 Alex VE3NEA
      • Spencer Shields
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3 4:56 PM
          Thanks Alex. A few more things to try to get it working better.
          I agree with others, that it is a great program. 73 Spencer W7SUR

          To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: alshovk@...: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:45:42 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

          Hi Bruce,Thank you for answering Spencer's questions, your answers were perfectly correct and very detailed.> For some reason Alex's program seems to> jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a> few times to get it to read the text reliably.In the 3-kHz mode, this happens because the CW Pitch setting in the Skimmer is incorrect. Change it slightly until you have a perfect match between the actual operating frequency of your transceiver and the frequency marked with a green triangle in CW Skimmer. In the SoftRock-IF mode, you would have to adjust the Audio IF frequency instead to achieve the same result.73 Alex VE3NEA

        • Yves
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
            Hi

            I have installed cw skimmer in demo version under windows 7.
            CW SKIMMER does not work. Not compatible with Win 7 I suppose.
            I am not sure and wait your opinions
            Best 73's ...F5SZY
          • PT2CC Yahoo
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 11, 2010
              Hi guys,
              There is a way to send Call Sign and Band/Frequency from CW Skimmer to the contact software catalogue like DX4Win or any other?
              If not, how can I register (automatic way) the QSOs, please? I will need to fill manually all data? Any ideas?

              Thanks from PT2CC Mac
            • Steve Ellington
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 11, 2010
                Yes. You can setup your logging software's telnet to receive updates from cwskimmer. Use address 'localhost' port 7300.
                It will then show all your calls in your dxspot window. You can extract data from QRZ to populate the log. I use Logger32 for doing this and it works fine.

                Steve

                There is a way to send Call Sign and Band/Frequency from CW Skimmer to the contact software catalogue like DX4Win or any other?
                If not, how can I register (automatic way) the QSOs, please? I will need to fill manually all data? Any ideas?

                Thanks from PT2CC Mac

              • PT2CC Mac Hotmail
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2010
                  I was seen “Introduction to CW Skimmer, by Pete Smith N4ZR” and he explain
                  how to set DX4Win to get

                  On DX4Win – Preferences - Packet1 – Cluster interface set to:

                  Type: Regular

                  COM PORT: TCP/IP

                  Message handshake: “Skimmer>Skimmer,localhost:7300”

                  Baud Rate: 9600

                  Flow Control: None

                  Data/Parity: 8 bits/no parity

                  On CW Skimmer Agregator only follow the installation instructions and do not
                  forget to let the same Port 7300.

                  I do not know yet how can I get – via WEB, not via local CD or DVD data -
                  QRZ data on DX4Win, but I will ask about that on DX4Win reflector.

                  Many thanks Pete and 73

                  from PT2CC Mac