Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
      I have had to play with the program, too, in order to make it work
      properly for me. The bands have not been the best lately anyway. I have
      found in the afternoon and evening you will find the best signals in the
      low ends of 80 and 40 meters. Through the day, at least here in the mid
      west 20 meters will give good results. The CW ops mostly work the first
      50-75 KHz of the HF bands these days so be sure you are tuning into
      those portions of the bands if you have not been used to working CW.

      Be aware too, that if you wish to have the text show up in the
      horizontal, one line, readout at the bottom of the the program window
      you must tune the signal you want decoded there to the middle of the
      pass band, that little scale on the lower right with the green arrow in
      it. That is the only signal which will read out continuously. The
      content of the other signals is decoded and saved but, other than the
      call letters, can be seen only if you hold the cursor over the little
      green arrow head following the call letters. When you do that you will
      see a pop up window appear with the decoded content therein.

      You may have already made these discoveries but I know it took me a
      little play time before I 'got it'. I also find that I can best tune
      the signal to the pass band while using another program called "Ham
      Radio Deluxe" to do the tuning. For some reason Alex's program seems to
      jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a
      few times to get it to read the text reliably. I am not sure what is
      causing that but I don't think it is the program's problem. Anyway...
      again good luck and have fun.

      I have not yet hooked up a key or paddle to my system to respond to
      some of the signals I read but one of these days I will do so for the
      fun of it. I use CW a lot so I don't feel the need for the decoding in
      that way but it sure has been fun seeing all the ways the interactive,
      digital/analog technologies are being developed these days. It sure is
      not your Grandpa's Ham Radio... but it is cool and interesting.

      Bruce, K2BET

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
        Sorry, but this info is not correct - as the "tooltip" says when you put
        your cursor on it, the drop-down menu to the left of the "X" is filter
        labels. It does not affect the actual decoding, just how the individual
        signals are identified.

        I suspect that what is happening is that you are not properly identifying
        the station whose decoded text you want to appear in the one-line decoder
        output at the bottom of the waterfall. To do that you need to move your
        cursor (in the call list area) up next to the decoder that matches the
        stream on the waterfall that you want to decode. You will see the cursor
        change to a left-pointing arrow. Left click and a symbol that looks like a
        page of type will appear next to the decoder, and the signal will be
        decoded character-by-character in the one-line decoder area.

        One of the neat things about Skimmer is that while you may only be watching
        one signal at the bottom of the waterfall, it is continuing to decode all
        the signals that it can make any CW sense out of. That means that if you
        position your cursor in the call list next to a decoder, in the area where
        the cursor changes to a left-pointing arrow, in a second or less you will
        see all of the CW that Skimmer has decoded from that signal while you were
        doing other things.

        In my several weeks' experience with Skimmer, it can consistently decode
        signals that are only a few dB above the noise floor, so signal strength is
        really not a significant consideration. If you can see it as CW on the
        waterfall, Skimmer can decode it.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi Bruce,

          Thank you for answering Spencer's questions, your answers were perfectly
          correct and very detailed.

          > For some reason Alex's program seems to
          > jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a
          > few times to get it to read the text reliably.

          In the 3-kHz mode, this happens because the CW Pitch setting in the Skimmer
          is incorrect. Change it slightly until you have a perfect match between the
          actual operating frequency of your transceiver and the frequency marked with
          a green triangle in CW Skimmer. In the SoftRock-IF mode, you would have to
          adjust the Audio IF frequency instead to achieve the same result.

          73 Alex VE3NEA
        • Spencer Shields
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
            Thanks Alex. A few more things to try to get it working better.
            I agree with others, that it is a great program. 73 Spencer W7SUR

            To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: alshovk@...: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:45:42 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

            Hi Bruce,Thank you for answering Spencer's questions, your answers were perfectly correct and very detailed.> For some reason Alex's program seems to> jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a> few times to get it to read the text reliably.In the 3-kHz mode, this happens because the CW Pitch setting in the Skimmer is incorrect. Change it slightly until you have a perfect match between the actual operating frequency of your transceiver and the frequency marked with a green triangle in CW Skimmer. In the SoftRock-IF mode, you would have to adjust the Audio IF frequency instead to achieve the same result.73 Alex VE3NEA

          • Yves
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
              Hi

              I have installed cw skimmer in demo version under windows 7.
              CW SKIMMER does not work. Not compatible with Win 7 I suppose.
              I am not sure and wait your opinions
              Best 73's ...F5SZY
            • PT2CC Yahoo
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 11 4:25 PM
                Hi guys,
                There is a way to send Call Sign and Band/Frequency from CW Skimmer to the contact software catalogue like DX4Win or any other?
                If not, how can I register (automatic way) the QSOs, please? I will need to fill manually all data? Any ideas?

                Thanks from PT2CC Mac
              • Steve Ellington
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 11 6:03 PM
                  Yes. You can setup your logging software's telnet to receive updates from cwskimmer. Use address 'localhost' port 7300.
                  It will then show all your calls in your dxspot window. You can extract data from QRZ to populate the log. I use Logger32 for doing this and it works fine.

                  Steve

                  There is a way to send Call Sign and Band/Frequency from CW Skimmer to the contact software catalogue like DX4Win or any other?
                  If not, how can I register (automatic way) the QSOs, please? I will need to fill manually all data? Any ideas?

                  Thanks from PT2CC Mac

                • PT2CC Mac Hotmail
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 12 6:10 PM
                    I was seen “Introduction to CW Skimmer, by Pete Smith N4ZR” and he explain
                    how to set DX4Win to get

                    On DX4Win – Preferences - Packet1 – Cluster interface set to:

                    Type: Regular

                    COM PORT: TCP/IP

                    Message handshake: “Skimmer>Skimmer,localhost:7300”

                    Baud Rate: 9600

                    Flow Control: None

                    Data/Parity: 8 bits/no parity

                    On CW Skimmer Agregator only follow the installation instructions and do not
                    forget to let the same Port 7300.

                    I do not know yet how can I get – via WEB, not via local CD or DVD data -
                    QRZ data on DX4Win, but I will ask about that on DX4Win reflector.

                    Many thanks Pete and 73

                    from PT2CC Mac