RE: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

  • Spencer Shields
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
      Thanks Bruce: I tried a beacon station about 10 miles from my QTH, and it was a little bit clearer. I'll try all the various settings and play around some more later tonight.
      Thanks again for the suggestion. Sometimes I can't see the simple for all the complex.
      73 Spencer W7SUR

      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: bet110@...: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:10:56 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

      Spencer, one consideration is to look at the option menu in the upper right hand corner to the left of the 'X'. There is a pick arrow there which presents a menu related to the deciphering level of content. Be sure a choice other than "raw data" is selected. With 'raw data' you will frequently see what you are describing as random noise and weak signals will produce very unusual looking content. Try the other items on the list and try to tune in some fairly strong signals to start. Good luck.K2BET----------Spencer Shields wrote:>>> Alex: I have been trying to check out cw skimmer, to see what it has > to offer. I'm afraid I don't get it. I can get it to detect alot of > signals, but they are all just jibberish. I can't seem to pull out any > intelligent text. My morse is pretty rusty, but I do recognize some > letters, and the program doesn't seem to do the same.> I know I am obviously doing something wrong. Any help would be > appreciated.>> Spencer W7SUR 73> __________________________________________________________> Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get > your "fix".> http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx > <http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>> >> __________ NOD32 2915 (20080303) Information __________>> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.> http://www.eset.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
        I have had to play with the program, too, in order to make it work
        properly for me. The bands have not been the best lately anyway. I have
        found in the afternoon and evening you will find the best signals in the
        low ends of 80 and 40 meters. Through the day, at least here in the mid
        west 20 meters will give good results. The CW ops mostly work the first
        50-75 KHz of the HF bands these days so be sure you are tuning into
        those portions of the bands if you have not been used to working CW.

        Be aware too, that if you wish to have the text show up in the
        horizontal, one line, readout at the bottom of the the program window
        you must tune the signal you want decoded there to the middle of the
        pass band, that little scale on the lower right with the green arrow in
        it. That is the only signal which will read out continuously. The
        content of the other signals is decoded and saved but, other than the
        call letters, can be seen only if you hold the cursor over the little
        green arrow head following the call letters. When you do that you will
        see a pop up window appear with the decoded content therein.

        You may have already made these discoveries but I know it took me a
        little play time before I 'got it'. I also find that I can best tune
        the signal to the pass band while using another program called "Ham
        Radio Deluxe" to do the tuning. For some reason Alex's program seems to
        jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a
        few times to get it to read the text reliably. I am not sure what is
        causing that but I don't think it is the program's problem. Anyway...
        again good luck and have fun.

        I have not yet hooked up a key or paddle to my system to respond to
        some of the signals I read but one of these days I will do so for the
        fun of it. I use CW a lot so I don't feel the need for the decoding in
        that way but it sure has been fun seeing all the ways the interactive,
        digital/analog technologies are being developed these days. It sure is
        not your Grandpa's Ham Radio... but it is cool and interesting.

        Bruce, K2BET

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
          Sorry, but this info is not correct - as the "tooltip" says when you put
          your cursor on it, the drop-down menu to the left of the "X" is filter
          labels. It does not affect the actual decoding, just how the individual
          signals are identified.

          I suspect that what is happening is that you are not properly identifying
          the station whose decoded text you want to appear in the one-line decoder
          output at the bottom of the waterfall. To do that you need to move your
          cursor (in the call list area) up next to the decoder that matches the
          stream on the waterfall that you want to decode. You will see the cursor
          change to a left-pointing arrow. Left click and a symbol that looks like a
          page of type will appear next to the decoder, and the signal will be
          decoded character-by-character in the one-line decoder area.

          One of the neat things about Skimmer is that while you may only be watching
          one signal at the bottom of the waterfall, it is continuing to decode all
          the signals that it can make any CW sense out of. That means that if you
          position your cursor in the call list next to a decoder, in the area where
          the cursor changes to a left-pointing arrow, in a second or less you will
          see all of the CW that Skimmer has decoded from that signal while you were
          doing other things.

          In my several weeks' experience with Skimmer, it can consistently decode
          signals that are only a few dB above the noise floor, so signal strength is
          really not a significant consideration. If you can see it as CW on the
          waterfall, Skimmer can decode it.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hi Bruce,

            Thank you for answering Spencer's questions, your answers were perfectly
            correct and very detailed.

            > For some reason Alex's program seems to
            > jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a
            > few times to get it to read the text reliably.

            In the 3-kHz mode, this happens because the CW Pitch setting in the Skimmer
            is incorrect. Change it slightly until you have a perfect match between the
            actual operating frequency of your transceiver and the frequency marked with
            a green triangle in CW Skimmer. In the SoftRock-IF mode, you would have to
            adjust the Audio IF frequency instead to achieve the same result.

            73 Alex VE3NEA
          • Spencer Shields
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
              Thanks Alex. A few more things to try to get it working better.
              I agree with others, that it is a great program. 73 Spencer W7SUR

              To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: alshovk@...: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:45:42 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer

              Hi Bruce,Thank you for answering Spencer's questions, your answers were perfectly correct and very detailed.> For some reason Alex's program seems to> jump beyond the 'sweet spot' in my setup so that I have to juggle it a> few times to get it to read the text reliably.In the 3-kHz mode, this happens because the CW Pitch setting in the Skimmer is incorrect. Change it slightly until you have a perfect match between the actual operating frequency of your transceiver and the frequency marked with a green triangle in CW Skimmer. In the SoftRock-IF mode, you would have to adjust the Audio IF frequency instead to achieve the same result.73 Alex VE3NEA

            • Yves
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                Hi

                I have installed cw skimmer in demo version under windows 7.
                CW SKIMMER does not work. Not compatible with Win 7 I suppose.
                I am not sure and wait your opinions
                Best 73's ...F5SZY
              • PT2CC Yahoo
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 11, 2010
                  Hi guys,
                  There is a way to send Call Sign and Band/Frequency from CW Skimmer to the contact software catalogue like DX4Win or any other?
                  If not, how can I register (automatic way) the QSOs, please? I will need to fill manually all data? Any ideas?

                  Thanks from PT2CC Mac
                • Steve Ellington
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2010
                    Yes. You can setup your logging software's telnet to receive updates from cwskimmer. Use address 'localhost' port 7300.
                    It will then show all your calls in your dxspot window. You can extract data from QRZ to populate the log. I use Logger32 for doing this and it works fine.

                    Steve

                    There is a way to send Call Sign and Band/Frequency from CW Skimmer to the contact software catalogue like DX4Win or any other?
                    If not, how can I register (automatic way) the QSOs, please? I will need to fill manually all data? Any ideas?

                    Thanks from PT2CC Mac

                  • PT2CC Mac Hotmail
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 12, 2010
                      I was seen “Introduction to CW Skimmer, by Pete Smith N4ZR” and he explain
                      how to set DX4Win to get

                      On DX4Win – Preferences - Packet1 – Cluster interface set to:

                      Type: Regular

                      COM PORT: TCP/IP

                      Message handshake: “Skimmer>Skimmer,localhost:7300”

                      Baud Rate: 9600

                      Flow Control: None

                      Data/Parity: 8 bits/no parity

                      On CW Skimmer Agregator only follow the installation instructions and do not
                      forget to let the same Port 7300.

                      I do not know yet how can I get – via WEB, not via local CD or DVD data -
                      QRZ data on DX4Win, but I will ask about that on DX4Win reflector.

                      Many thanks Pete and 73

                      from PT2CC Mac