Re: [dxatlas] Open up CW Skimmer for more than 3kHz.... Selectable VFOs too.

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
      I am aware of that.... generally speaking OmniRig style applications
      will still load after another program has loaded and using the desired
      COM port. OmniRig apps simply fault out on the com port but everything
      else works. Unfortunately this is NOT what I was looking for. I need
      OmniRig control of the VFOs to make the most use of CW Skimmer's
      ability to read a wide bandwidth of signals and QUICKLY get me to the
      one I want. The requirement for switching VFOs is for the benefit of
      anyone with dual receivers.

      73,
      Jerry

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

      > QST: Members may be interested that I have found "CW Skimmer" to be
      > compatible with "Ham Radio Deluxe". HRD is a very nice, free, program
      > with which you can control most recent vintage rigs with CIV
      capability.
      > When configured for you transceiver you can load it first and then load
      > "CW Skimmer" on top of it. It appears (at least with my Icom rigs) that
      > HRD retains control of the rig operation while CW Skimmer will work as
      > normal except for the frequency readout and control within Skimmer
      which
      > would be the built in Omni-Rig functions.
      >
      > One benefit is that you can control all of your rig functions with HRD
      > while having the benefit of CW Skimmer decoding the CW text. I have
      > found that you can switch between VFO's A and B as well as fine tune
      the
      > receiver with HRD to place the desired signal within the CW Skimmer's
      > Audio Pass Band for perfect copy as long as the signal strength is
      > sufficient. It works very nicely and you do not miss the Frequency
      > readout and control on Skimmer since you have a very nice read out on
      > HRD for that function as well as controls such as audio and RF
      controls,
      > IF bandwidth etc. I have used this combo with both the IC-706 Mk II G
      > and the IC-756 Pro II with fine results.
      >
      > Hope this might be helpful to some on the reflector.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Bruce, K2BET
      > HRD download is available here: <http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/>
      >

      > > <http://www.eset.com>

    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
        Alex,

        Just checking in on this subject.

        As mentioned earlier would truly appreciate being able to open up the
        minimum bandwidth for a standard receiver to at least 8 kHz to match
        the available bandwidth of the Orion, Orion II, Jupiter, and Pegasus
        transceivers. I don't wish to modify my Orion to tap off the IF at
        this time. I know we have had this discussion. As a member of the NCCC
        (Northern California Contest Club) I know the added value CW Skimmer
        has with an SDR attached to it (We had a really great testimonial to
        its success for spotting the entire CW band at last night's NCCC
        monthly meeting).. however for now my interest is primarily working DX
        and Skimmer at 3 kHz wide has been a great assistant when working a DX
        station running split... to be able to open it up 3 kHz to 8 kHz would
        be a great advantage to us DXers running Ten-Tec equipment. The
        selectable VFOs option makes Skimmer easier to use too (although I did
        modify my OmniPage Orion script, but many aren't willing to attempt that).

        CW Skimmer... a truly innovative product getting better with each new
        update.

        73,

        Jerry, KG6TT