Re: [dxatlas] Open up CW Skimmer for more than 3kHz.... Selectable VFOs too.

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2008
      At 05:33 PM 2/19/2008, Bruce Tanner wrote:
      >QST: Members may be interested that I have found "CW Skimmer" to be
      >compatible with "Ham Radio Deluxe". HRD is a very nice, free, program
      >with which you can control most recent vintage rigs with CIV capability.
      >When configured for your transceiver you can load it first and then load
      >"CW Skimmer" on top of it. It appears (at least with my Icom rigs) that
      >HRD retains control of the rig operation while CW Skimmer will work as
      >normal except for the frequency readout and control within Skimmer which
      >would be the built in Omni-Rig functions.

      I believe this is generally true - so long as you start the logging program
      first, CW Skimmer gracefully cedes control of the radio to it. There may
      be some logging programs out there that also use the Omni-Rig control
      engine, in which case I think they should be able to "co-control", but
      perhaps Alex can elaborate on that.

      73, Pete N4ZR
    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
        I am aware of that.... generally speaking OmniRig style applications
        will still load after another program has loaded and using the desired
        COM port. OmniRig apps simply fault out on the com port but everything
        else works. Unfortunately this is NOT what I was looking for. I need
        OmniRig control of the VFOs to make the most use of CW Skimmer's
        ability to read a wide bandwidth of signals and QUICKLY get me to the
        one I want. The requirement for switching VFOs is for the benefit of
        anyone with dual receivers.

        73,
        Jerry

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

        > QST: Members may be interested that I have found "CW Skimmer" to be
        > compatible with "Ham Radio Deluxe". HRD is a very nice, free, program
        > with which you can control most recent vintage rigs with CIV
        capability.
        > When configured for you transceiver you can load it first and then load
        > "CW Skimmer" on top of it. It appears (at least with my Icom rigs) that
        > HRD retains control of the rig operation while CW Skimmer will work as
        > normal except for the frequency readout and control within Skimmer
        which
        > would be the built in Omni-Rig functions.
        >
        > One benefit is that you can control all of your rig functions with HRD
        > while having the benefit of CW Skimmer decoding the CW text. I have
        > found that you can switch between VFO's A and B as well as fine tune
        the
        > receiver with HRD to place the desired signal within the CW Skimmer's
        > Audio Pass Band for perfect copy as long as the signal strength is
        > sufficient. It works very nicely and you do not miss the Frequency
        > readout and control on Skimmer since you have a very nice read out on
        > HRD for that function as well as controls such as audio and RF
        controls,
        > IF bandwidth etc. I have used this combo with both the IC-706 Mk II G
        > and the IC-756 Pro II with fine results.
        >
        > Hope this might be helpful to some on the reflector.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Bruce, K2BET
        > HRD download is available here: <http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/>
        >

        > > <http://www.eset.com>

      • jeraldvolpe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
          Alex,

          Just checking in on this subject.

          As mentioned earlier would truly appreciate being able to open up the
          minimum bandwidth for a standard receiver to at least 8 kHz to match
          the available bandwidth of the Orion, Orion II, Jupiter, and Pegasus
          transceivers. I don't wish to modify my Orion to tap off the IF at
          this time. I know we have had this discussion. As a member of the NCCC
          (Northern California Contest Club) I know the added value CW Skimmer
          has with an SDR attached to it (We had a really great testimonial to
          its success for spotting the entire CW band at last night's NCCC
          monthly meeting).. however for now my interest is primarily working DX
          and Skimmer at 3 kHz wide has been a great assistant when working a DX
          station running split... to be able to open it up 3 kHz to 8 kHz would
          be a great advantage to us DXers running Ten-Tec equipment. The
          selectable VFOs option makes Skimmer easier to use too (although I did
          modify my OmniPage Orion script, but many aren't willing to attempt that).

          CW Skimmer... a truly innovative product getting better with each new
          update.

          73,

          Jerry, KG6TT