Re: [dxatlas] Morse Runner----HELP!

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2008
      Hi Bill,

      The short answer is, you cannot interface a key with Morse Runner.

      MR is a simulator. The operators of the calling stations in this program are
      in fact very simple virtual creatures that consist of just a few hundred
      lines of code. They are not smart enough to understand arbitrary text sent
      with a key. When you enter a callsign in the callsign field, they know it's
      a callsign, and whatever is entered in the Exchange field is assumed to be
      an exchange number. If you sent these data with a key, the program simply
      would not understand what was sent.

      There is one exception to this though. The electronic keyer developed by
      Igor UN7GM not only sends CW, but also decodes what's being sent and injects
      the keystrokes into the keyboard cable, as if the text was typed on the
      keyboard. Since the keystrokes go to a particular input field, MR has no
      problems understanding them. Igor uses his keyer with Morse Runner with
      great success. The keyer is described at http://www.cqham.ru:80/cwt.htm .
      The article is in Russian, but the schematic is in English.

      All,

      I just installed morse runner and it looks to be very cool, but how do
      I interface a key to it?

      Can I just take a code oscillator and put the output into the mic jack
      on the computer?

      Please help...I really want to use this program!

      Thanks

      Bill,

      de n1one