Open up CW Skimmer for more than 3kHz.... Selectable VFOs too.

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2008
      Alex, now that I have OmniRig adjusted so that CW Skimmer is talking
      to the Sub receiver/VFO on the Orion would it please be possible to
      increase the current setting OR add an adjustable setting for more
      than 3kHz? The Orion's SUB receiver can be opened up to as much as 9
      kHz.... and as many DXPeditions listen over more than just the basic 3
      kHz range having the option (if the receiver supports it as the Orion
      does)to use a listening range in excess of 3 kHz would greatly add to
      the versatility of CW Skimmer.

      Of course I think it would still be great if the user could select
      WHICH VFO they were reading and writing to.... once again if the
      OmniRig definition for that transceiver had more than one VFO.

      73, Jerry, KG6TT
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2008
        QST: Members may be interested that I have found "CW Skimmer" to be
        compatible with "Ham Radio Deluxe". HRD is a very nice, free, program
        with which you can control most recent vintage rigs with CIV capability.
        When configured for you transceiver you can load it first and then load
        "CW Skimmer" on top of it. It appears (at least with my Icom rigs) that
        HRD retains control of the rig operation while CW Skimmer will work as
        normal except for the frequency readout and control within Skimmer which
        would be the built in Omni-Rig functions.

        One benefit is that you can control all of your rig functions with HRD
        while having the benefit of CW Skimmer decoding the CW text. I have
        found that you can switch between VFO's A and B as well as fine tune the
        receiver with HRD to place the desired signal within the CW Skimmer's
        Audio Pass Band for perfect copy as long as the signal strength is
        sufficient. It works very nicely and you do not miss the Frequency
        readout and control on Skimmer since you have a very nice read out on
        HRD for that function as well as controls such as audio and RF controls,
        IF bandwidth etc. I have used this combo with both the IC-706 Mk II G
        and the IC-756 Pro II with fine results.

        Hope this might be helpful to some on the reflector.

        73,

        Bruce, K2BET
        HRD download is available here: <http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/>

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2008
          At 05:33 PM 2/19/2008, Bruce Tanner wrote:
          >QST: Members may be interested that I have found "CW Skimmer" to be
          >compatible with "Ham Radio Deluxe". HRD is a very nice, free, program
          >with which you can control most recent vintage rigs with CIV capability.
          >When configured for your transceiver you can load it first and then load
          >"CW Skimmer" on top of it. It appears (at least with my Icom rigs) that
          >HRD retains control of the rig operation while CW Skimmer will work as
          >normal except for the frequency readout and control within Skimmer which
          >would be the built in Omni-Rig functions.

          I believe this is generally true - so long as you start the logging program
          first, CW Skimmer gracefully cedes control of the radio to it. There may
          be some logging programs out there that also use the Omni-Rig control
          engine, in which case I think they should be able to "co-control", but
          perhaps Alex can elaborate on that.

          73, Pete N4ZR
        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
            I am aware of that.... generally speaking OmniRig style applications
            will still load after another program has loaded and using the desired
            COM port. OmniRig apps simply fault out on the com port but everything
            else works. Unfortunately this is NOT what I was looking for. I need
            OmniRig control of the VFOs to make the most use of CW Skimmer's
            ability to read a wide bandwidth of signals and QUICKLY get me to the
            one I want. The requirement for switching VFOs is for the benefit of
            anyone with dual receivers.

            73,
            Jerry

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

            > QST: Members may be interested that I have found "CW Skimmer" to be
            > compatible with "Ham Radio Deluxe". HRD is a very nice, free, program
            > with which you can control most recent vintage rigs with CIV
            capability.
            > When configured for you transceiver you can load it first and then load
            > "CW Skimmer" on top of it. It appears (at least with my Icom rigs) that
            > HRD retains control of the rig operation while CW Skimmer will work as
            > normal except for the frequency readout and control within Skimmer
            which
            > would be the built in Omni-Rig functions.
            >
            > One benefit is that you can control all of your rig functions with HRD
            > while having the benefit of CW Skimmer decoding the CW text. I have
            > found that you can switch between VFO's A and B as well as fine tune
            the
            > receiver with HRD to place the desired signal within the CW Skimmer's
            > Audio Pass Band for perfect copy as long as the signal strength is
            > sufficient. It works very nicely and you do not miss the Frequency
            > readout and control on Skimmer since you have a very nice read out on
            > HRD for that function as well as controls such as audio and RF
            controls,
            > IF bandwidth etc. I have used this combo with both the IC-706 Mk II G
            > and the IC-756 Pro II with fine results.
            >
            > Hope this might be helpful to some on the reflector.
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Bruce, K2BET
            > HRD download is available here: <http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/>
            >

            > > <http://www.eset.com>

          • jeraldvolpe
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15 5:15 PM
              Alex,

              Just checking in on this subject.

              As mentioned earlier would truly appreciate being able to open up the
              minimum bandwidth for a standard receiver to at least 8 kHz to match
              the available bandwidth of the Orion, Orion II, Jupiter, and Pegasus
              transceivers. I don't wish to modify my Orion to tap off the IF at
              this time. I know we have had this discussion. As a member of the NCCC
              (Northern California Contest Club) I know the added value CW Skimmer
              has with an SDR attached to it (We had a really great testimonial to
              its success for spotting the entire CW band at last night's NCCC
              monthly meeting).. however for now my interest is primarily working DX
              and Skimmer at 3 kHz wide has been a great assistant when working a DX
              station running split... to be able to open it up 3 kHz to 8 kHz would
              be a great advantage to us DXers running Ten-Tec equipment. The
              selectable VFOs option makes Skimmer easier to use too (although I did
              modify my OmniPage Orion script, but many aren't willing to attempt that).

              CW Skimmer... a truly innovative product getting better with each new
              update.

              73,

              Jerry, KG6TT