Re: New software: CW Skimmer

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
      Two things come to mind:

      As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
      channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
      pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
      receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
      a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
      not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
      spread out the signals a bit. So......

      Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
      that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
      signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
      on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
      receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
      the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
      VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
      VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
      me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
      station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
      own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
      the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
      side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
      'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
      that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
      really take advantage of this.

      Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

      73,
      Jerry, KG6TT
    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
        > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
        > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
        > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
        > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

        Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
        different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
        nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

        73,
        Jerry, KG6TT
      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
          I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf
          ===============================
          NOBSKA
          www.nobska.net
          ===============================
          Cape Cod Instruments
          www.oceanbiz.net
          ===============================

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
            I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
            Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
            'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
            via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
            Thanks.

            Bruce, K2BET
            Okemos, MI
          • Tom
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
              <alshovk@...> wrote:

              > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
              is
              > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
              >
              > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
              > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
              > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
              on
              > the band map.
              >
              > 73 Alex VE3NEA

              Alex
              Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
              signal, if this is possible what is the process.
              cheers
              Tom De zl2hgr
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                Hi Tom,

                If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                Alex
                Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                cheers
                Tom De zl2hgr
              • zl2hgr
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                  Hi Alex

                  Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                  do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                  Regards

                  Tom Dixon

                  E.P.C # 1101

                  HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                  Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                  is there room in your head for one more?"

                  If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                  panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                  waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                  Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                  Alex
                  Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                  signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                  cheers
                  Tom De zl2hgr

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  6:35 p.m.

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  6:35 p.m.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                    Hi Tim,

                    The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                    the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                    grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                    CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.