Re: New software: CW Skimmer

  • jeraldvolpe
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
      It didn't take me long to see enough to know you have a great program
      there. I registered earlier today.

      Is it possible to add a 'QSO' mode option... that uses far fewer
      resources while only allowing a smaller window. I'm afraid my 2GHz
      Athalon with 1GB and XP is having a time of it if anything else is
      running. As I use DXLabs in the background.

      Anyway as a Tinnitus sufferer (ringing in the ears) I enjoy any aid to
      help me stay with my favorite mode... your algorithm is great.

      Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
      seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
      enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
      Skimmer open...what am I missing?

      73,
      Jerry, KG6TT
    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
        Two things come to mind:

        As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
        channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
        pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
        receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
        a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
        not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
        spread out the signals a bit. So......

        Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
        that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
        signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
        on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
        receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
        the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
        VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
        VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
        me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
        station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
        own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
        the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
        side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
        'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
        that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
        really take advantage of this.

        Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

        73,
        Jerry, KG6TT
      • jeraldvolpe
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
          > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
          > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
          > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
          > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

          Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
          different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
          nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

          73,
          Jerry, KG6TT
        • Dan Schaaf
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
            I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

            Best Regards
            Dan Schaaf
            ===============================
            NOBSKA
            www.nobska.net
            ===============================
            Cape Cod Instruments
            www.oceanbiz.net
            ===============================

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
              I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
              Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
              'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
              via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
              Thanks.

              Bruce, K2BET
              Okemos, MI
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
                <alshovk@...> wrote:

                > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
                is
                > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
                >
                > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
                > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
                > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
                on
                > the band map.
                >
                > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                Alex
                Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                cheers
                Tom De zl2hgr
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                  Hi Tom,

                  If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                  panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                  waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                  Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                  Alex
                  Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                  signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                  cheers
                  Tom De zl2hgr
                • zl2hgr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                    Hi Alex

                    Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                    do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                    Regards

                    Tom Dixon

                    E.P.C # 1101

                    HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                    is there room in your head for one more?"

                    If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                    panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                    waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                    Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                    Alex
                    Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                    signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                    cheers
                    Tom De zl2hgr

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    6:35 p.m.

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    6:35 p.m.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                      Hi Tim,

                      The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                      the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                      grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                      CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.