Re: New software: CW Skimmer

  • Mike Penkas
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
      Just joined the group. Saw a blurb this morning on the Elecraft
      reflector about the program. I downloaded it and it works great with
      my K3. Only issue is that I have to use CW-reverse or USB to get it to
      work properly with mouse click on the signal. Is there a setting
      somewhere to reverse the sideband?
      Lots of comments on the reflector regarding the program-especially from
      those who are die hard cw contesters who feel it is going to ruin
      contesting. I can't even imagine the work involved in the development
      of the software. It decodes bad CW better than any program I have ever
      used. Congrats on a real breakthrough.
      73's Mike WA8EBM

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
      <alshovk@...> wrote:

      > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
      is
      > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
      >
      > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
      > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
      > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
      on
      > the band map.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA

    • jeraldvolpe
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
        It didn't take me long to see enough to know you have a great program
        there. I registered earlier today.

        Is it possible to add a 'QSO' mode option... that uses far fewer
        resources while only allowing a smaller window. I'm afraid my 2GHz
        Athalon with 1GB and XP is having a time of it if anything else is
        running. As I use DXLabs in the background.

        Anyway as a Tinnitus sufferer (ringing in the ears) I enjoy any aid to
        help me stay with my favorite mode... your algorithm is great.

        Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
        seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
        enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
        Skimmer open...what am I missing?

        73,
        Jerry, KG6TT
      • jeraldvolpe
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
          Two things come to mind:

          As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
          channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
          pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
          receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
          a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
          not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
          spread out the signals a bit. So......

          Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
          that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
          signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
          on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
          receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
          the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
          VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
          VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
          me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
          station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
          own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
          the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
          side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
          'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
          that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
          really take advantage of this.

          Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

          73,
          Jerry, KG6TT
        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
            > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
            > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
            > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
            > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

            Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
            different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
            nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

            73,
            Jerry, KG6TT
          • Dan Schaaf
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
              I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

              Best Regards
              Dan Schaaf
              ===============================
              NOBSKA
              www.nobska.net
              ===============================
              Cape Cod Instruments
              www.oceanbiz.net
              ===============================

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
                Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
                'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
                via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
                Thanks.

                Bruce, K2BET
                Okemos, MI
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                  <alshovk@...> wrote:

                  > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
                  is
                  > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
                  >
                  > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
                  > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
                  > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
                  on
                  > the band map.
                  >
                  > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                  Alex
                  Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                  signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                  cheers
                  Tom De zl2hgr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                    Hi Tom,

                    If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                    panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                    waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                    Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                    Alex
                    Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                    signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                    cheers
                    Tom De zl2hgr
                  • zl2hgr
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                      Hi Alex

                      Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                      do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                      Regards

                      Tom Dixon

                      E.P.C # 1101

                      HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                      Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                      is there room in your head for one more?"

                      If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                      panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                      waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                      Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                      Alex
                      Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                      signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                      cheers
                      Tom De zl2hgr

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      6:35 p.m.

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      6:35 p.m.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                        Hi Tim,

                        The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                        the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                        grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                        CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.