Re: [dxatlas] New software: CW Skimmer

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Dan,

      Sure you can, I have both programs running on my system all day.

      > Dear Alex
      >
      > Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?
      >
      > Best Regards
      > Dan Schaaf
      > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
    • Mike Penkas
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
        Just joined the group. Saw a blurb this morning on the Elecraft
        reflector about the program. I downloaded it and it works great with
        my K3. Only issue is that I have to use CW-reverse or USB to get it to
        work properly with mouse click on the signal. Is there a setting
        somewhere to reverse the sideband?
        Lots of comments on the reflector regarding the program-especially from
        those who are die hard cw contesters who feel it is going to ruin
        contesting. I can't even imagine the work involved in the development
        of the software. It decodes bad CW better than any program I have ever
        used. Congrats on a real breakthrough.
        73's Mike WA8EBM

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
        <alshovk@...> wrote:

        > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
        is
        > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
        >
        > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
        > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
        > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
        on
        > the band map.
        >
        > 73 Alex VE3NEA

      • jeraldvolpe
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
          It didn't take me long to see enough to know you have a great program
          there. I registered earlier today.

          Is it possible to add a 'QSO' mode option... that uses far fewer
          resources while only allowing a smaller window. I'm afraid my 2GHz
          Athalon with 1GB and XP is having a time of it if anything else is
          running. As I use DXLabs in the background.

          Anyway as a Tinnitus sufferer (ringing in the ears) I enjoy any aid to
          help me stay with my favorite mode... your algorithm is great.

          Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
          seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
          enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
          Skimmer open...what am I missing?

          73,
          Jerry, KG6TT
        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
            Two things come to mind:

            As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
            channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
            pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
            receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
            a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
            not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
            spread out the signals a bit. So......

            Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
            that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
            signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
            on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
            receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
            the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
            VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
            VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
            me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
            station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
            own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
            the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
            side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
            'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
            that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
            really take advantage of this.

            Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

            73,
            Jerry, KG6TT
          • jeraldvolpe
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
              > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
              > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
              > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
              > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

              Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
              different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
              nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

              73,
              Jerry, KG6TT
            • Dan Schaaf
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

                Best Regards
                Dan Schaaf
                ===============================
                NOBSKA
                www.nobska.net
                ===============================
                Cape Cod Instruments
                www.oceanbiz.net
                ===============================

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                  I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
                  Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
                  'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
                  via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
                  Thanks.

                  Bruce, K2BET
                  Okemos, MI
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                    <alshovk@...> wrote:

                    > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
                    is
                    > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
                    >
                    > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
                    > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
                    > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
                    on
                    > the band map.
                    >
                    > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                    Alex
                    Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                    signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                    cheers
                    Tom De zl2hgr
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                      Hi Tom,

                      If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                      panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                      waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                      Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                      Alex
                      Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                      signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                      cheers
                      Tom De zl2hgr
                    • zl2hgr
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                        Hi Alex

                        Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                        do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                        Regards

                        Tom Dixon

                        E.P.C # 1101

                        HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                        Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                        is there room in your head for one more?"

                        If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                        panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                        waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                        Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                        Alex
                        Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                        signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                        cheers
                        Tom De zl2hgr

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        6:35 p.m.

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        6:35 p.m.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                          Hi Tim,

                          The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                          the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                          grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                          CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.