Re: [dxatlas] New software: CW Skimmer

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
      Dear Alex

      Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf
      ===============================
      NOBSKA
      www.nobska.net
      ===============================
      Cape Cod Instruments
      www.oceanbiz.net
      ===============================
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
        Hi Dan,

        Sure you can, I have both programs running on my system all day.

        > Dear Alex
        >
        > Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?
        >
        > Best Regards
        > Dan Schaaf
        > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
      • Mike Penkas
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
          Just joined the group. Saw a blurb this morning on the Elecraft
          reflector about the program. I downloaded it and it works great with
          my K3. Only issue is that I have to use CW-reverse or USB to get it to
          work properly with mouse click on the signal. Is there a setting
          somewhere to reverse the sideband?
          Lots of comments on the reflector regarding the program-especially from
          those who are die hard cw contesters who feel it is going to ruin
          contesting. I can't even imagine the work involved in the development
          of the software. It decodes bad CW better than any program I have ever
          used. Congrats on a real breakthrough.
          73's Mike WA8EBM

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
          <alshovk@...> wrote:

          > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
          is
          > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
          >
          > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
          > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
          > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
          on
          > the band map.
          >
          > 73 Alex VE3NEA

        • jeraldvolpe
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
            It didn't take me long to see enough to know you have a great program
            there. I registered earlier today.

            Is it possible to add a 'QSO' mode option... that uses far fewer
            resources while only allowing a smaller window. I'm afraid my 2GHz
            Athalon with 1GB and XP is having a time of it if anything else is
            running. As I use DXLabs in the background.

            Anyway as a Tinnitus sufferer (ringing in the ears) I enjoy any aid to
            help me stay with my favorite mode... your algorithm is great.

            Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
            seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
            enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
            Skimmer open...what am I missing?

            73,
            Jerry, KG6TT
          • jeraldvolpe
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
              Two things come to mind:

              As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
              channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
              pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
              receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
              a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
              not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
              spread out the signals a bit. So......

              Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
              that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
              signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
              on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
              receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
              the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
              VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
              VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
              me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
              station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
              own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
              the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
              side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
              'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
              that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
              really take advantage of this.

              Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

              73,
              Jerry, KG6TT
            • jeraldvolpe
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
                > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
                > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
                > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
                > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

                Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
                different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
                nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

                73,
                Jerry, KG6TT
              • Dan Schaaf
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                  I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

                  Best Regards
                  Dan Schaaf
                  ===============================
                  NOBSKA
                  www.nobska.net
                  ===============================
                  Cape Cod Instruments
                  www.oceanbiz.net
                  ===============================

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                    I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
                    Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
                    'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
                    via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
                    Thanks.

                    Bruce, K2BET
                    Okemos, MI
                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                      <alshovk@...> wrote:

                      > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
                      is
                      > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
                      >
                      > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
                      > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
                      > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
                      on
                      > the band map.
                      >
                      > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                      Alex
                      Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                      signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                      cheers
                      Tom De zl2hgr
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                        Hi Tom,

                        If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                        panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                        waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                        Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                        Alex
                        Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                        signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                        cheers
                        Tom De zl2hgr
                      • zl2hgr
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                          Hi Alex

                          Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                          do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                          Regards

                          Tom Dixon

                          E.P.C # 1101

                          HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                          Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                          is there room in your head for one more?"

                          If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                          panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                          waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                          Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                          Alex
                          Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                          signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                          cheers
                          Tom De zl2hgr

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          6:35 p.m.

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          6:35 p.m.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                            Hi Tim,

                            The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                            the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                            grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                            CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.