Re: [dxatlas] New software: CW Skimmer

  • Geoff Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
      Alex,

      Very nice. Used it to watch some of the FOC contest this morning.

      Couple of points noted already that you might like to be aware of

      1) I am using the audio codec in a microHam MK2R+ and have on two occasions
      now experienced a complete computer lock up when playing about with the CW
      filter bandwidth - particularly when the B/W was very low.

      2) When altering the cw B/W using a wheel mouse I note that the B/W display
      figure will only change IF one moves the cursor slightly. If the cursor
      remains in one position the B/W figure does not change. ( even though the
      filter obviously does so.

      I have been using the software to actually look at two receivers at once one
      on the left and one on the right channel. Indeed I have been monitoring two
      freq/time standards [MSF on 60KHz and the Russian time signal on 14.996] -
      which I found interesting (others might think I was one dot short of a full
      CW set though!)

      One thing you may like to consider for the future - How about having the
      ability to open two copies of the program at the same time allowing each
      copy to select its own input channel (left or right)

      All in all - a very nice piece of software. Just a few more tests before I
      go for a registration..

      73 de Geoff
      G3NPA
      Geoff.Anderson@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
        Dear Alex

        Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf
        ===============================
        NOBSKA
        www.nobska.net
        ===============================
        Cape Cod Instruments
        www.oceanbiz.net
        ===============================

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
          Hi Dan,

          Sure you can, I have both programs running on my system all day.

          > Dear Alex
          >
          > Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?
          >
          > Best Regards
          > Dan Schaaf
          > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
        • Mike Penkas
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
            Just joined the group. Saw a blurb this morning on the Elecraft
            reflector about the program. I downloaded it and it works great with
            my K3. Only issue is that I have to use CW-reverse or USB to get it to
            work properly with mouse click on the signal. Is there a setting
            somewhere to reverse the sideband?
            Lots of comments on the reflector regarding the program-especially from
            those who are die hard cw contesters who feel it is going to ruin
            contesting. I can't even imagine the work involved in the development
            of the software. It decodes bad CW better than any program I have ever
            used. Congrats on a real breakthrough.
            73's Mike WA8EBM

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
            <alshovk@...> wrote:

            > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
            is
            > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
            >
            > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
            > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
            > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
            on
            > the band map.
            >
            > 73 Alex VE3NEA

          • jeraldvolpe
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
              It didn't take me long to see enough to know you have a great program
              there. I registered earlier today.

              Is it possible to add a 'QSO' mode option... that uses far fewer
              resources while only allowing a smaller window. I'm afraid my 2GHz
              Athalon with 1GB and XP is having a time of it if anything else is
              running. As I use DXLabs in the background.

              Anyway as a Tinnitus sufferer (ringing in the ears) I enjoy any aid to
              help me stay with my favorite mode... your algorithm is great.

              Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
              seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
              enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
              Skimmer open...what am I missing?

              73,
              Jerry, KG6TT
            • jeraldvolpe
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                Two things come to mind:

                As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
                channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
                pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
                receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
                a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
                not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
                spread out the signals a bit. So......

                Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
                that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
                signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
                on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
                receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
                the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
                VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
                VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
                me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
                station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
                own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
                the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
                side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
                'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
                that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
                really take advantage of this.

                Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

                73,
                Jerry, KG6TT
              • jeraldvolpe
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
                  > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
                  > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
                  > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
                  > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

                  Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
                  different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
                  nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

                  73,
                  Jerry, KG6TT
                • Dan Schaaf
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                    I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

                    Best Regards
                    Dan Schaaf
                    ===============================
                    NOBSKA
                    www.nobska.net
                    ===============================
                    Cape Cod Instruments
                    www.oceanbiz.net
                    ===============================

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                      I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
                      Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
                      'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
                      via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
                      Thanks.

                      Bruce, K2BET
                      Okemos, MI
                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                        <alshovk@...> wrote:

                        > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
                        is
                        > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
                        >
                        > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
                        > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
                        > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
                        on
                        > the band map.
                        >
                        > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                        Alex
                        Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                        signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                        cheers
                        Tom De zl2hgr
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                          Hi Tom,

                          If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                          panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                          waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                          Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                          Alex
                          Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                          signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                          cheers
                          Tom De zl2hgr
                        • zl2hgr
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                            Hi Alex

                            Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                            do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                            Regards

                            Tom Dixon

                            E.P.C # 1101

                            HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                            Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                            is there room in your head for one more?"

                            If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                            panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                            waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                            Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                            Alex
                            Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                            signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                            cheers
                            Tom De zl2hgr

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            6:35 p.m.

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            6:35 p.m.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                              Hi Tim,

                              The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                              the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                              grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                              CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.