New software: CW Skimmer

  • Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
      I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program is
      available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .

      CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
      decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
      other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them on
      the band map.

      73 Alex VE3NEA
    • Geoff Anderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
        Alex,

        Very nice. Used it to watch some of the FOC contest this morning.

        Couple of points noted already that you might like to be aware of

        1) I am using the audio codec in a microHam MK2R+ and have on two occasions
        now experienced a complete computer lock up when playing about with the CW
        filter bandwidth - particularly when the B/W was very low.

        2) When altering the cw B/W using a wheel mouse I note that the B/W display
        figure will only change IF one moves the cursor slightly. If the cursor
        remains in one position the B/W figure does not change. ( even though the
        filter obviously does so.

        I have been using the software to actually look at two receivers at once one
        on the left and one on the right channel. Indeed I have been monitoring two
        freq/time standards [MSF on 60KHz and the Russian time signal on 14.996] -
        which I found interesting (others might think I was one dot short of a full
        CW set though!)

        One thing you may like to consider for the future - How about having the
        ability to open two copies of the program at the same time allowing each
        copy to select its own input channel (left or right)

        All in all - a very nice piece of software. Just a few more tests before I
        go for a registration..

        73 de Geoff
        G3NPA
        Geoff.Anderson@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
          Dear Alex

          Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf
          ===============================
          NOBSKA
          www.nobska.net
          ===============================
          Cape Cod Instruments
          www.oceanbiz.net
          ===============================

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
            Hi Dan,

            Sure you can, I have both programs running on my system all day.

            > Dear Alex
            >
            > Can I run this skimmer at the same time as I am running Bandmaster?
            >
            > Best Regards
            > Dan Schaaf
            > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"
          • Mike Penkas
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
              Just joined the group. Saw a blurb this morning on the Elecraft
              reflector about the program. I downloaded it and it works great with
              my K3. Only issue is that I have to use CW-reverse or USB to get it to
              work properly with mouse click on the signal. Is there a setting
              somewhere to reverse the sideband?
              Lots of comments on the reflector regarding the program-especially from
              those who are die hard cw contesters who feel it is going to ruin
              contesting. I can't even imagine the work involved in the development
              of the software. It decodes bad CW better than any program I have ever
              used. Congrats on a real breakthrough.
              73's Mike WA8EBM

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
              <alshovk@...> wrote:

              > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
              is
              > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
              >
              > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
              > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
              > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
              on
              > the band map.
              >
              > 73 Alex VE3NEA

            • jeraldvolpe
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                It didn't take me long to see enough to know you have a great program
                there. I registered earlier today.

                Is it possible to add a 'QSO' mode option... that uses far fewer
                resources while only allowing a smaller window. I'm afraid my 2GHz
                Athalon with 1GB and XP is having a time of it if anything else is
                running. As I use DXLabs in the background.

                Anyway as a Tinnitus sufferer (ringing in the ears) I enjoy any aid to
                help me stay with my favorite mode... your algorithm is great.

                Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
                seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
                enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
                Skimmer open...what am I missing?

                73,
                Jerry, KG6TT
              • jeraldvolpe
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Two things come to mind:

                  As a Ten-Tec Orion owner I have two receivers with separate audio
                  channels available to each. I have found it invaluable when working
                  pileups to have VFO 1 on the main receiver with VFO 2 on the sub
                  receiver... and one headphone for each (or in my case I actually have
                  a stereo amp on the Orion's AUX Left and Right channel outputs. When
                  not in the pileup mode I switch my Orion to Binaural reception to
                  spread out the signals a bit. So......

                  Thought One. For SPLIT Operation allow us to set which VFO (for rigs
                  that have more than one) we want to switch when we click on a decoding
                  signal. If I have this as an available option I could have CW Skinner
                  on my sub receiver audio channel listening to the pileup (main
                  receiver or VFO 1 on the DX station). This way I could quickly find
                  the DX station that the DX is answering and immediately move my second
                  VFO (TX and sub r-RX) to that frequency while not touching the main
                  VFO (Main RX) which is receiving the originating DX. This would allow
                  me to increase my chances of getting through the pileup (a very modest
                  station) by allowing me to quickly follow a responding station with my
                  own on the same frequency. Consider the implications. All I need is
                  the ability to select which VFO I will control with CW Skinner. As a
                  side benefit that allows those with only 3KHz wide type receivers to
                  'spread out' since many DX stations listen up more than 3KHz. I know
                  that many hams don't have dual receive as yet but enough do that would
                  really take advantage of this.

                  Thought Two. Add a Binaural option to the DSP output.

                  73,
                  Jerry, KG6TT
                • jeraldvolpe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...> wrote:
                    > Band Master utilizes rig control and so does CW Skimmer... it doesn't
                    > seem possible to simultaneously use both with their rig control
                    > enabled... My Band Master indicates the port isn't available with CW
                    > Skimmer open...what am I missing?

                    Ouch, what I was missing is that I had Band Master set to control a
                    different rig in the shack and it was turned off. Both programs play
                    nicely together. MY MISTAKE!

                    73,
                    Jerry, KG6TT
                  • Dan Schaaf
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                      I agree, mine also workes with Bandmaster

                      Best Regards
                      Dan Schaaf
                      ===============================
                      NOBSKA
                      www.nobska.net
                      ===============================
                      Cape Cod Instruments
                      www.oceanbiz.net
                      ===============================

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                        I have discovered that CW Skimmer will also work under "Ham Radio
                        Deluxe" using my IC-756 Pro II while allowing HRD to retain control. The
                        'Skimmer' will play and show all of the decoding of CW being received
                        via HRD! Very Nice, Alex. I will also be registering the software soon.
                        Thanks.

                        Bruce, K2BET
                        Okemos, MI
                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                          <alshovk@...> wrote:

                          > I have released a new shareware application, CW Skimmer. The program
                          is
                          > available at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer .
                          >
                          > CW Skimmer is a wideband, multi-channel CW decoder and analyzer. It
                          > decodes hundreds of CW signals simultaneously, extracts callsigns and
                          > other useful pieces of information from the messages, and shows them
                          on
                          > the band map.
                          >
                          > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                          Alex
                          Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                          signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                          cheers
                          Tom De zl2hgr
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                            Hi Tom,

                            If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                            panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the
                            waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                            Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                            Alex
                            Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                            signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                            cheers
                            Tom De zl2hgr
                          • zl2hgr
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                              Hi Alex

                              Thanks for the reply. I figured that one out, however the reason I do not
                              do it�.is because for some reason it will not display in the lower panel?

                              Regards

                              Tom Dixon

                              E.P.C # 1101

                              HYPERLINK "mailto:zl2hgr@..."zl2hgr@...

                              Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice saying, "Hey,
                              is there room in your head for one more?"

                              If you are interested in copying only one signal, just resize the band map
                              panel so that you cannot see the callsigns. Click on the signal trace on the

                              waterfall, and its decoded message will be displayed on the bottom panel.

                              Out of curiosity, what is wrong with decoding multiple signals?

                              Alex
                              Is there anyway to set the program up so that it will only decode one
                              signal, if this is possible what is the process.
                              cheers
                              Tom De zl2hgr

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              6:35 p.m.

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              6:35 p.m.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                                Hi Tim,

                                The decoded text is displayed in the lower panel only if you are tuned at
                                the signal, when the radio is tuned at a clear frequency, the lower panel is
                                grayed. To tune, just click on the signal trace on the waterfall, and the
                                CAT interface will tune the radio at that signal.