Re: [dxatlas] Learning curve started!

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
      Spencer,

      I agree with Bruce's reply also. Listen Deep. At the bottom of the sunspot
      cycle, the "Good Stuff:" might be weak. But don't let the Sun Spot pundits
      scare you off. Sunspots are for sissies HiHi. I have worked a lot and lot of
      DX at the bottom of the cycle. If you can hear it, you can work it.
      Operating skills are important in pileups. And don't let pileups scare you
      off. Learn how to operate split frequency (transmitting up band and
      listening to the DXer frequency ( VFO A andVFO B). You have to listen deep,
      not just through noise but also thru QRM, and there are people who will
      intentionally and not-intentionally QRM on the DX guy.

      If you plan to work CW, and I hope that you choose to do it, at the very
      minimum, learn to hear your own callsign at 30 to 40 WPM so that when the
      DXer calls you, you can reply quickly. A good DX op will work the pileup
      fast. But it is fun .

      Bandmaster on a live internet connection will pop up DX spots fast and if
      you are watching Bandmaster, you can locate a good DX contact early on
      before the pileup gets too big.

      I also have to appease my wife. She understands what I am doing, but
      basically could care less and watches my expenses carefully. I stopped
      bragging to her of my DX conquests. She just nods and walks away.

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf
      ===============================
      NOBSKA
      www.nobska.net
      ===============================
      Cape Cod Instruments
      www.oceanbiz.net
      ===============================
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
        By the way, If you are using AALog 2.47 integrated with bandmaster, the DX
        that you need will be displayed in RED and a new DX Spot will have a green
        bar on it. Nice to have so that you don't waste time working countries
        already worked before. And it does this highlighting for each band. So, if
        you worked VQ9LA on 40 meters, he will show up on 40 m as black, and if you
        didnt work him yet on 20 meters, it will show in red. Same for modes,
        Digital, SSB, CW etc in red if not worked yet in that mode and band. Neat
        stuff.
        And, if you are in the living room watching TV and a new DX comes on
        Bandmaster, the computer will send DX in morse code thru the PC speaker, so
        you can jump off the couch, work the DX and go back to teh couch and TV
        again. I crank up the volume so I can hear it in the patio.

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf
        NOBSKA
        www.nobska.net