Learning curve started!

  • Spencer Shields
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
      Thanks Dan!
      I have decided to get more aggressive in learning how to use my radio. My XYL just scratched her head when she heard that I wanted to get into Ham radio. I am not a very 'chatty' person, and am more prone to just sit back and listen to others, but once engaged in a good conversation, I come out of my shell and enjoy voicing my opinion.
      Anyway, I hope to make good use of the expertise here in this group. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't in over my head by joining this group.....I always feel like I need to be lead by the hand until I get a good grasp of the concepts involved in a new program.
      There are not many other hams in my immediate area. I live about 100 miles south of Salt Lake City,Utah. And therefore, don't have an Elmer to consult with, and learn how to get started in some new mode of operation.
      I found someone willing to help me get started into the digital modes, and finally learned how to use PSK31 well enough that I finally tried the PSKFest this last weekend. Now I want to learn how to become a good DX contact, and use all the features on my rig, that I paid my good money to be able to have.
      I have a TS 2000 radio, MFJ 993-B tuner, Cushcraft beam antennas (2 Mtr,6 Mtr,and 10-15-20 Mtr), and a dipole for 40 and 80 Mtr. This is probably all the equipment I dare buy to get me into retirement, and keep my wife of 36 years from leaving me. Hi Hi
      Thanks Again for coming back to my post so soon. 73 Spencer Shields W7SUR K

      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: dan-schaaf@...: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:45:01 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?

      Spencer, I think you will receive lots of help here in this group.Just to mention, I use Hamcap plots of time vs. frequency and I will tell you that it is very accurate. I can save lots of time by not even listening for the DX until HAMCAP indicates the best times to listen. It is NOT perfect however, since there have been some times when the DX is audible and teh HAMCAP says that the S/N is very low or 0 or negative numbers. But, I still find it pretty darn accurate. When it says that the Best Time is, for example, 1130 UTC, the DX station will peak at that time.I use the Ionoprobe to increase the accuracy. Also, set in your antenna types for best accuracy. For teh DX Station antennas, I use the same as my antennas. If it is not correct, no problem, it just means that the DX Station may have better antennas than I have and so their signal will be stronger than I am expecting.Best RegardsDan SchaafK3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"----- Original Message ----- From: wapiti_sur_slayer To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:29 PMSubject: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?Greetings Everyone: I have just joined this group to try to learn more about using Hamcap and dxatlas,and any other things that will help me work my radio better.I have been a ham for about 3-1/2 years, and I am working my way through the hobby, trying to learn new areas of operating bliss.I have mostly just listened to other hams on SSB, trying to learn how to operate correctly, and improve my knowledge of what it takes to become profidient at DX and working other stations.Today I tried for the first time to use hamcap to learn what it will do, and how to use it to make contacts on bands other than 40 and 80 Meters. I had some success (?) hearing DX stations on bands that I had ,up until now, thought were dead because of the solar cycle.I guess my main question is: Am I in the wrong group? I read through the postings for the last few months, and they seem to just be talking about new improvements to the program. Where is the best place to learn how to use the programs and increase my learning curve? 73 Spencer[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Dan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
        Spencer,

        I agree with Bruce's reply also. Listen Deep. At the bottom of the sunspot
        cycle, the "Good Stuff:" might be weak. But don't let the Sun Spot pundits
        scare you off. Sunspots are for sissies HiHi. I have worked a lot and lot of
        DX at the bottom of the cycle. If you can hear it, you can work it.
        Operating skills are important in pileups. And don't let pileups scare you
        off. Learn how to operate split frequency (transmitting up band and
        listening to the DXer frequency ( VFO A andVFO B). You have to listen deep,
        not just through noise but also thru QRM, and there are people who will
        intentionally and not-intentionally QRM on the DX guy.

        If you plan to work CW, and I hope that you choose to do it, at the very
        minimum, learn to hear your own callsign at 30 to 40 WPM so that when the
        DXer calls you, you can reply quickly. A good DX op will work the pileup
        fast. But it is fun .

        Bandmaster on a live internet connection will pop up DX spots fast and if
        you are watching Bandmaster, you can locate a good DX contact early on
        before the pileup gets too big.

        I also have to appease my wife. She understands what I am doing, but
        basically could care less and watches my expenses carefully. I stopped
        bragging to her of my DX conquests. She just nods and walks away.

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf
        ===============================
        NOBSKA
        www.nobska.net
        ===============================
        Cape Cod Instruments
        www.oceanbiz.net
        ===============================
[...]

        To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: dan-schaaf@...: Sun, 13 Jan
        2008 20:45:01 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
          By the way, If you are using AALog 2.47 integrated with bandmaster, the DX
          that you need will be displayed in RED and a new DX Spot will have a green
          bar on it. Nice to have so that you don't waste time working countries
          already worked before. And it does this highlighting for each band. So, if
          you worked VQ9LA on 40 meters, he will show up on 40 m as black, and if you
          didnt work him yet on 20 meters, it will show in red. Same for modes,
          Digital, SSB, CW etc in red if not worked yet in that mode and band. Neat
          stuff.
          And, if you are in the living room watching TV and a new DX comes on
          Bandmaster, the computer will send DX in morse code thru the PC speaker, so
          you can jump off the couch, work the DX and go back to teh couch and TV
          again. I crank up the volume so I can hear it in the patio.

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf
          NOBSKA
          www.nobska.net