Re: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hi Spencer,

      users of the software can answer, don't hesitate to ask them here. If you
      need help directly from the author of the program, then send your message to
      my email address shown at the DX Atlas web site.

      Greetings Everyone: I have just joined this group to try to learn more
      about using Hamcap and dxatlas,and any other things that will help me
      work my radio better.

      I have been a ham for about 3-1/2 years, and I am working my way
      through the hobby, trying to learn new areas of operating bliss.

      I have mostly just listened to other hams on SSB, trying to learn how
      to operate correctly, and improve my knowledge of what it takes to
      become profidient at DX and working other stations.

      Today I tried for the first time to use hamcap to learn what it will
      do, and how to use it to make contacts on bands other than 40 and 80
      Meters. I had some success (?) hearing DX stations on bands that I
      had ,up until now, thought were dead because of the solar cycle.

      I guess my main question is: Am I in the wrong group? I read through
      the postings for the last few months, and they seem to just be talking
      about new improvements to the program. Where is the best place to
      learn how to use the programs and increase my learning curve? 73 Spencer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
        Welcome, Spenser. You are right on time with your career development in
        amateur radio! I recall as a newly licensed General Class Ham back in
        1960 or so that I was also in search of the illusive DX and those were
        pretty good sun spot years as I recall. The advice I received was to
        "listen deep"! I will pass that on to you as well as to continue using
        the new aides such as DX Atlas and Ionoprobe.

        I use the latter all the time as well as Band Master. I often use DX
        Alas to see where and when the 'Gray Line' propagation is occurring. It
        is amazing how much better you will hear the DX sigs during that 30 to
        45 minute period when it is passing over your QTH location.

        I also check in with Band Master just to see where the DX is being
        reported from. Often times that data will let you know if others in your
        general locale are receiving DX signals...and from where, and then you
        listen deep! By that I mean into the noise level. It will take a while
        but as you 'tune your ear', as well as your receiver, you will be
        amazed at what you can dig out of what might appear to be just noise to
        you at this point. Learn how to use your filters etc. well also.

        I have Ionoprobe up on my screen most of the time and occasionally obey
        its prophesies by getting up early in the morning when it tells me the
        signals will be best in my location from diverse areas of the Earth. If
        you don't do that occasionally you will miss some of the juicy stuff
        that just will not find propagation paths to your door at any other
        time... well maybe in a few years as Cycle 24 warms up. If it is good
        you will hear stories about the bands being 'open' all day long to most
        anywhere!

        Stay with it and stay with us.. I think you are at one of the right
        places for support and education though you are also apt to locate
        others as time goes on.

        73,

        Bruce, K2BET
        ----------------

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
          Sorry! I meant to say I use Ham CAP to get those 'prophecies'! It is a
          great program.

          Bruce Tanner wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I have been a ham for about 3-1/2 years, and I am working my way
          > > through the hobby, trying to learn new areas of operating bliss.
          > >
          > > I have mostly just listened to other hams on SSB, trying to learn how
          > > to operate correctly, and improve my knowledge of what it takes to
          > > become profidient at DX and working other stations.
          > >
          > > Today I tried for the first time to use hamcap to learn what it will
          > > do, and how to use it to make contacts on bands other than 40 and 80
          > > Meters. I had some success (?) hearing DX stations on bands that I
          > > had ,up until now, thought were dead because of the solar cycle.
          > >
          > > I guess my main question is: Am I in the wrong group? I read through
          > > the postings for the last few months, and they seem to just be talking
          > > about new improvements to the program. Where is the best place to
          > > learn how to use the programs and increase my learning curve? 73 Spencer

        • Spencer Shields
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
            Thanks Dan!
            I have decided to get more aggressive in learning how to use my radio. My XYL just scratched her head when she heard that I wanted to get into Ham radio. I am not a very 'chatty' person, and am more prone to just sit back and listen to others, but once engaged in a good conversation, I come out of my shell and enjoy voicing my opinion.
            Anyway, I hope to make good use of the expertise here in this group. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't in over my head by joining this group.....I always feel like I need to be lead by the hand until I get a good grasp of the concepts involved in a new program.
            There are not many other hams in my immediate area. I live about 100 miles south of Salt Lake City,Utah. And therefore, don't have an Elmer to consult with, and learn how to get started in some new mode of operation.
            I found someone willing to help me get started into the digital modes, and finally learned how to use PSK31 well enough that I finally tried the PSKFest this last weekend. Now I want to learn how to become a good DX contact, and use all the features on my rig, that I paid my good money to be able to have.
            I have a TS 2000 radio, MFJ 993-B tuner, Cushcraft beam antennas (2 Mtr,6 Mtr,and 10-15-20 Mtr), and a dipole for 40 and 80 Mtr. This is probably all the equipment I dare buy to get me into retirement, and keep my wife of 36 years from leaving me. Hi Hi
            Thanks Again for coming back to my post so soon. 73 Spencer Shields W7SUR K

            To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: dan-schaaf@...: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:45:01 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?

            Spencer, I think you will receive lots of help here in this group.Just to mention, I use Hamcap plots of time vs. frequency and I will tell you that it is very accurate. I can save lots of time by not even listening for the DX until HAMCAP indicates the best times to listen. It is NOT perfect however, since there have been some times when the DX is audible and teh HAMCAP says that the S/N is very low or 0 or negative numbers. But, I still find it pretty darn accurate. When it says that the Best Time is, for example, 1130 UTC, the DX station will peak at that time.I use the Ionoprobe to increase the accuracy. Also, set in your antenna types for best accuracy. For teh DX Station antennas, I use the same as my antennas. If it is not correct, no problem, it just means that the DX Station may have better antennas than I have and so their signal will be stronger than I am expecting.Best RegardsDan SchaafK3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"----- Original Message ----- From: wapiti_sur_slayer To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:29 PMSubject: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?Greetings Everyone: I have just joined this group to try to learn more about using Hamcap and dxatlas,and any other things that will help me work my radio better.I have been a ham for about 3-1/2 years, and I am working my way through the hobby, trying to learn new areas of operating bliss.I have mostly just listened to other hams on SSB, trying to learn how to operate correctly, and improve my knowledge of what it takes to become profidient at DX and working other stations.Today I tried for the first time to use hamcap to learn what it will do, and how to use it to make contacts on bands other than 40 and 80 Meters. I had some success (?) hearing DX stations on bands that I had ,up until now, thought were dead because of the solar cycle.I guess my main question is: Am I in the wrong group? I read through the postings for the last few months, and they seem to just be talking about new improvements to the program. Where is the best place to learn how to use the programs and increase my learning curve? 73 Spencer[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Dan Schaaf
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
              Spencer,

              I agree with Bruce's reply also. Listen Deep. At the bottom of the sunspot
              cycle, the "Good Stuff:" might be weak. But don't let the Sun Spot pundits
              scare you off. Sunspots are for sissies HiHi. I have worked a lot and lot of
              DX at the bottom of the cycle. If you can hear it, you can work it.
              Operating skills are important in pileups. And don't let pileups scare you
              off. Learn how to operate split frequency (transmitting up band and
              listening to the DXer frequency ( VFO A andVFO B). You have to listen deep,
              not just through noise but also thru QRM, and there are people who will
              intentionally and not-intentionally QRM on the DX guy.

              If you plan to work CW, and I hope that you choose to do it, at the very
              minimum, learn to hear your own callsign at 30 to 40 WPM so that when the
              DXer calls you, you can reply quickly. A good DX op will work the pileup
              fast. But it is fun .

              Bandmaster on a live internet connection will pop up DX spots fast and if
              you are watching Bandmaster, you can locate a good DX contact early on
              before the pileup gets too big.

              I also have to appease my wife. She understands what I am doing, but
              basically could care less and watches my expenses carefully. I stopped
              bragging to her of my DX conquests. She just nods and walks away.

              Best Regards
              Dan Schaaf
              ===============================
              NOBSKA
              www.nobska.net
              ===============================
              Cape Cod Instruments
              www.oceanbiz.net
              ===============================
[...]

              To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.comFrom: dan-schaaf@...: Sun, 13 Jan
              2008 20:45:01 -0500Subject: Re: [dxatlas] What have I gotten myself into?

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Dan Schaaf
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 13, 2008
                By the way, If you are using AALog 2.47 integrated with bandmaster, the DX
                that you need will be displayed in RED and a new DX Spot will have a green
                bar on it. Nice to have so that you don't waste time working countries
                already worked before. And it does this highlighting for each band. So, if
                you worked VQ9LA on 40 meters, he will show up on 40 m as black, and if you
                didnt work him yet on 20 meters, it will show in red. Same for modes,
                Digital, SSB, CW etc in red if not worked yet in that mode and band. Neat
                stuff.
                And, if you are in the living room watching TV and a new DX comes on
                Bandmaster, the computer will send DX in morse code thru the PC speaker, so
                you can jump off the couch, work the DX and go back to teh couch and TV
                again. I crank up the volume so I can hear it in the patio.

                Best Regards
                Dan Schaaf
                NOBSKA
                www.nobska.net