Re: [dxatlas] Faros: I'm Impressed, so I bought it! But I have a question.

  • g8kbv
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2008
      Hi Alex.

      Thanks for the reply. When you are ready, let me know and I'll test
      it for you, as I have perhaps "a less than otpimum" CPU at present.

      I sort of wondered if the .gif saving was being done in the same
      thread, as I can do other things with the same PC, & even the
      antivirus updates OK without disturbing Faros's audio DSP routines,
      so a dedicated thread for that could be the answer.

      With this P3/666 PC, The CPU usage seems to be about 10% average,
      with regular bursts to 28%, I'm only doing the periodic history
      backups every 2 hours at the moment.

      Another idea (actualy I forgot to mention it last time...)

      There is already an option to monitor one band only, how about the
      ability to monitor one beacon only?

      I realise that you'd need a radio capable of switching bands quickly,
      and not all rig's can do that, but it'd be useful to monitor one path
      for an individual user at least. It's what I was trying to do over
      the years with the HP3585a analyzer and my own code experiments,
      before the analyzer died.

      Perhaps (in the future) even the ability to substitute one of the
      existing beacons for a "custom" frequency, so perhaps "something
      else" could periodicaly be monitored? Just ideas...

      I've now got my copy of Faros registerd just fine, after two attempts
      with RegSoft, seems they cant process credit cards where the bank is
      not in he USA, but they can do PayPal, at $3 extra though. I'm still
      very happy with the program, but I'll be checking the credit card
      statement when I get it, just in case...

      I'm still more and more amazed at what comes out of the noise, here
      on the edge of a RF noisy urban environment at IO92ma, with a non
      resonant antenna, very close to the house, with all it's noisy
      gadgets.

      Just goes to show what posibly can be done with HF even at this point
      in the sun's cycle with a very modest antenna. A "Random Wire
      Sloper", from the edge of the house roof, to a dead tree stump only
      some 10m away, fed against ground at the far end via a "Long" length
      of coax and remote ATU (bypassed for Faros's use at the moment)

      Best 73 Alex.

      Dave G0WBX.

      PS: In relation to Faros. Do you (or anyone else on the list) know
      of any free or shareware GPS synchrosnisable Time Server software
      that Faros could communicate with if for example you were out
      working "/portable" with no 'net connection?