Re: [dxatlas] Hourly map images from DX Atlas

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
      Hi Barry,

      By default, HamCap produces monthly propagation maps, and it doesn't matter
      when you generate them. The "real time" mode is an experimental mode, no one
      has tested its accuracy yet. If I were doing a research, I would use the
      monthly maps because their accuracy is well studied.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
        Alex,

        Sorry, but I'm confused now. I'm not sure which maps are "real time"
        and which are "monthly." Normally, when I use Hamcap, I click on
        "IonoProbe" on the settings page so that Hamcap has current prop data.
        On the map page, I usually click on the "real time" arrow to get the
        current prediction. On the map page, if I click on the left or right
        arrows to move backward or forward an hour, are those maps "real time"
        or "monthly"? Do these hourly maps utilize the Ionoprobe data? If
        they do utilize the Ionoprobe data, won't they change whenever the
        data from Ionoprobe changes.

        73, Barry

        > Hi Barry,
        >
        > By default, HamCap produces monthly propagation maps, and it doesn't
        matter
        > when you generate them. The "real time" mode is an experimental
        mode, no one
        > has tested its accuracy yet. If I were doing a research, I would use
        the
        > monthly maps because their accuracy is well studied.

      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
          I have had the same questions as you have Barry. However, the graph is more informative to me so I never asked Alex about this.

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
            Hi Barry,

            When the IonoProbe button in HamCap is depressed, HamCap uses real time
            indices provided by IonoProbe to compute the predictions. When this button
            is not depressed, the program uses monthly indices from the database.