Hourly map images from DX Atlas

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
      My daughter (KI4GUO) is working on a school project involving
      propagation. She is using the NCDXF beacons, Faros and
      Hamcap/Ionoprobe/DX Atlas. She is logging beacon signals for a
      24-hour period using Faros. One part of the project involves comparing
      her "actual" results to "theoretical" results using Hamcap/Ionoprobe.
      She plans to print out hourly maps from DX Atlas overlayed with
      Hamcap propagation data.

      For convenience, she would prefer to save the 24 hourly maps from DX
      Atlas as images all at once (rather than sitting down at the computer
      every hour). Is there a difference between saving the map images
      immediately before vs. immediately after Faros logs the 24 hours of
      data? Would the images be the same? Would these images differ from
      the images in Hamcap's "live" mode (which takes real-time prop data
      into account)? In other words, would she have more accurate forecast
      images if she saved one image each hour (while Faros is logging beacon
      signals)?

      73, Barry K4CZ
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
        Hi Barry,

        By default, HamCap produces monthly propagation maps, and it doesn't matter
        when you generate them. The "real time" mode is an experimental mode, no one
        has tested its accuracy yet. If I were doing a research, I would use the
        monthly maps because their accuracy is well studied.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
          Alex,

          Sorry, but I'm confused now. I'm not sure which maps are "real time"
          and which are "monthly." Normally, when I use Hamcap, I click on
          "IonoProbe" on the settings page so that Hamcap has current prop data.
          On the map page, I usually click on the "real time" arrow to get the
          current prediction. On the map page, if I click on the left or right
          arrows to move backward or forward an hour, are those maps "real time"
          or "monthly"? Do these hourly maps utilize the Ionoprobe data? If
          they do utilize the Ionoprobe data, won't they change whenever the
          data from Ionoprobe changes.

          73, Barry

          > Hi Barry,
          >
          > By default, HamCap produces monthly propagation maps, and it doesn't
          matter
          > when you generate them. The "real time" mode is an experimental
          mode, no one
          > has tested its accuracy yet. If I were doing a research, I would use
          the
          > monthly maps because their accuracy is well studied.

        • Dan Schaaf
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
            I have had the same questions as you have Barry. However, the graph is more informative to me so I never asked Alex about this.

            Best Regards
            Dan Schaaf

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
              Hi Barry,

              When the IonoProbe button in HamCap is depressed, HamCap uses real time
              indices provided by IonoProbe to compute the predictions. When this button
              is not depressed, the program uses monthly indices from the database.