Re: [dxatlas] Faros: I'm Impressed, so I bought it! But I have a question.

  • AA0OI
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008
      Hi Dave:
      I'm sure Alex will also answer you,, but sound like computer and Win2K are just to slow.. Im'
      running XP at 3.2 gig ( overclocked to 4.0 gig) and saving gif's only takes seconds ( about 3 or 4)..

      Garrett / AA0OI

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        Thank you for bringing my attention to this problem. You are correct,
        generation of a gif file takes much time because data compression is
        involved, and this screws up audio streaming. I can change the time interval
        in the next version, but I will first see if can solve the problem by
        running the gif stuff in a separate thread.

        Could you in the next maintenance release (if you do such things)
        provide the means to specify the history change timing, to values
        other than multiples of 3 mnutes...? (Any value >= 3 perhaps?)

        This is because I've noticed that when Faros saves it's history
        as .gif's, it fails to monitor whatever beacon it's got "active" in
        the beacon/band list at that time.
        [skipped]
      • g8kbv
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2008
          Hi Alex.

          Thanks for the reply. When you are ready, let me know and I'll test
          it for you, as I have perhaps "a less than otpimum" CPU at present.

          I sort of wondered if the .gif saving was being done in the same
          thread, as I can do other things with the same PC, & even the
          antivirus updates OK without disturbing Faros's audio DSP routines,
          so a dedicated thread for that could be the answer.

          With this P3/666 PC, The CPU usage seems to be about 10% average,
          with regular bursts to 28%, I'm only doing the periodic history
          backups every 2 hours at the moment.

          Another idea (actualy I forgot to mention it last time...)

          There is already an option to monitor one band only, how about the
          ability to monitor one beacon only?

          I realise that you'd need a radio capable of switching bands quickly,
          and not all rig's can do that, but it'd be useful to monitor one path
          for an individual user at least. It's what I was trying to do over
          the years with the HP3585a analyzer and my own code experiments,
          before the analyzer died.

          Perhaps (in the future) even the ability to substitute one of the
          existing beacons for a "custom" frequency, so perhaps "something
          else" could periodicaly be monitored? Just ideas...

          I've now got my copy of Faros registerd just fine, after two attempts
          with RegSoft, seems they cant process credit cards where the bank is
          not in he USA, but they can do PayPal, at $3 extra though. I'm still
          very happy with the program, but I'll be checking the credit card
          statement when I get it, just in case...

          I'm still more and more amazed at what comes out of the noise, here
          on the edge of a RF noisy urban environment at IO92ma, with a non
          resonant antenna, very close to the house, with all it's noisy
          gadgets.

          Just goes to show what posibly can be done with HF even at this point
          in the sun's cycle with a very modest antenna. A "Random Wire
          Sloper", from the edge of the house roof, to a dead tree stump only
          some 10m away, fed against ground at the far end via a "Long" length
          of coax and remote ATU (bypassed for Faros's use at the moment)

          Best 73 Alex.

          Dave G0WBX.

          PS: In relation to Faros. Do you (or anyone else on the list) know
          of any free or shareware GPS synchrosnisable Time Server software
          that Faros could communicate with if for example you were out
          working "/portable" with no 'net connection?